Kinda pissed about new judges

Tables....
with only 5 scores you are going to get bit by the Table monster at some point
hey it is only a $1000
Move on to the next one :)

Unfortuneately there are only so many experienced judges. It is strictly voluntary and they pay their own expenses. Sometimes it is hard to get all the experienced ones you would like to have. Personally I think the inexperienced judges should be mentored at a contest so that after a category they can discuss how/why they voted that way. It may not help for the first contest they do but it will for future ones.

how do you mentor some one in taste, either you like it or you dont.Judges are supposed to keep an open mind and if you tell them what they should like or look for wouldnt that that away from the objectiveness of their opinion? like telling a judge only thighs are good and pulled chicken isnt.

In fact recently on this board there was a team that bitched about scoring @ an event with over 50 entrants, then they went to a small almost backyard and where raving about how they where back on track, then recently they went to another "big" event and cooked the worst food ever. Hmmm. Must have been the judges from the first event followed them huh? :)

I've placed in the top 10 in brisket all year in large and small contests. If I made a bad brisket I would know and my honest friends from my team and other teams that tasted my brisket would let me know. I also know that there isn't anything I can do about it and at this point I am just letting it go.

It's just BBQ for goodness sakes. The sun will come up tomorrow.

If anybody knows this, it's me. I rarely complain about anything and this thread was mainly for two things, letting me vent and starting a conversation. I had way too much fun out there to let this really get me down.

If anybody knows this, it's me. I rarely complain about anything and this thread was mainly for two things, letting me vent and starting a conversation. I had way too much fun out there to let this really get me down.

Thats the key take away.... dont let it get ya down. :twisted:
But we do need to get you to the Great American or the Royal :razz:

Neil,man I feel your pain as well.We tanked on pork, and I thought it was alot better than our 1st place pork at Stagecoach,way better! We also tanked on chicken and I spent the past 3 weekends practicing chicken 2 times a day and seemed to do no good, although I thought it was the best chicken we had done in a year ! It was a long drive back to Phoenix after this one,I was VERY dissapointed at our showing. I guess on to the next one,can't go back,but have to move forward.I left this contest wondering if I even know how to boil water anymore !!!

I imagine all of us have had a contest that we wish we could change.
I do feel your pain Big Mista. I wish we could call a mulligan and have a "do over" at Madison.

Well Neil, I can't say I feel your pain, 'cuz you do not know what pain is. How about 51st out of 52 in Brisket.
You know Dan has done pretty well with his Brisket recently, and we thought this one was OK, not his best, but not bad. To get 51st was a slap in the face. But you got to take it and move on.
Could your low score in tenderness be from it being too tender?
I think it is still better to have freshly trained judges then what we had in Clovis, where over half were not certified. And that was a big comp (for us out here) as well, with 42 teams I believe.
But I know how you feel, have been Top Ten in Ribs at every comp this year except one (Fairfield, but it was my fault). Thought our Ribs were very good this weekend, Judges thought they were mid pack, along with the Pork.
If I posted Saturday after looking at the scores, I propably would of said that it was my last contest. But we will try to forget and move on. Best thing that I can recommend.
And thanks for sharing the Anejo. Hope you enjoyed the Reposado I brought. Wish we had time to polish them bottles off (drown our sorrows).
Congrats on your ribs, they looked great.
Are we going to see you in Long Beach on 12/12?
Later,
Bill

Ah, the joy of the rogue table... I've been hit with it many times, but here's one about a buddy of mine you might have heard of.

The contest was the Young Harris, GA event this year, a first year event. My buddy turned in the same pork he always does, having refined his recipe and presentation cooking contests since 1996. I tasted his product and it was right were it always is - incredibly good and better than our own that day.

The judges ranked his pork at the bottom of the field - the only team that scored lower failed to turn in a box. Our own entry finished in 5th place. Boy was my friend steamed! No doubt that he was hosed by a bad table in my mind.

Oh, and the name of the unlucky guy who submitted the DAL pork? My buddy's name is Myron Mixon.

Well Neil, I can't say I feel your pain, 'cuz you do not know what pain is. How about 51st out of 52 in Brisket.
You know Dan has done pretty well with his Brisket recently, and we thought this one was OK, not his best, but not bad. To get 51st was a slap in the face. But you got to take it and move on.
Could your low score in tenderness be from it being too tender?
I think it is still better to have freshly trained judges then what we had in Clovis, where over half were not certified. And that was a big comp (for us out here) as well, with 42 teams I believe.
But I know how you feel, have been Top Ten in Ribs at every comp this year except one (Fairfield, but it was my fault). Thought our Ribs were very good this weekend, Judges thought they were mid pack, along with the Pork.
If I posted Saturday after looking at the scores, I propably would of said that it was my last contest. But we will try to forget and move on. Best thing that I can recommend.
And thanks for sharing the Anejo. Hope you enjoyed the Reposado I brought. Wish we had time to polish them bottles off (drown our sorrows).
Congrats on your ribs, they looked great.
Are we going to see you in Long Beach on 12/12?
Later,
Bill

Bill I'm not sure. I'm just about ready to start selling at the Farmer's Market on Saturdays so I might just make an appearance on Friday night after I get my meat on and get everything packed. And I will probably come over for the awards.

The Reposado was very good. i look forward to our "Tequila Exchange" at the contest. Yet another reason to keep showing up. That and the awesome Potlucks!

small contest vs. larger

First question is when do you taste your brisket? I put extra slices on a cutting board and leave them until I think the judges are eating them. At less than 30 team contests (5 tables) I assume 15 minutes after I send the box off is when a judge is eating (maybe a couple earlier). At over 30 to 72 I add 5 minutes. It takes time to renumber and sort to ensure they get to a different table. Over 72 I add 5 more minutes. Then and only then do I taste it. Brisket you slice and eat has very different texture and tenderness after sitting for 15-25 minutes. If you are tasting before making the box then try this and see if it makes a difference.

You said you used 3 slabs of ribs to get your turn-in. There are times it is necessary but each slab will taste a little different (different pigs, size, how fed, etc) and you will have rub slightly differently. They will cook slightly differently depending on how they are in the cooker. Still it sometimes is necessary but it certainly could explain your difference in rib scores for taste and tenderness (55 and 76)

Viejas 2008 was the biggest contest ever in the state of California. They had a judges class on Friday. Most of the people in that class ended up as judges in this historic contest. 45% of the judges were brand new this was their first contest. TOY, ROY and a $6500.00 GC were on the line, this is the last contest of the season for us and this rookies are giving out 3's in taste and 4's in tenderness.

Do you think rookies should be allowed to cut their teeth in big contests with so much on the line when they really have no concept of what goes into creating competitions BBQ?

YOU ASKED?

first... i believe judges should be blindfolded... that takes care of presentation... either that or no blind boxes just wadded up butcher paper with only bbq inside. You can only judge the BBQ appearance then.

next... if your a judge that was born and raised in bbq country you can judge within 24 hours from course completion... if your not regional... then you can judge as soon as you have eaten 24 meals from any of the meccas on bbq... or 24 years.

if there are not enough judges close down some competitions outside the BBQ beltway.

lastly... for all invitationals you can bring salt, pepper wood of choice and meat, untrimmed, sealed in original packaging and three other spices of your choice.

Everything else belongs in a separate category, "fusion style BBQ" where its more freestyle.

:wink::icon_blush:

Now there is one exception to the "regional Rule" there's a guy in michigan that simmers, smokes, refrigerates and then reseasons and DEEP FRIES his ribs on order. Anyone from Michigan for this reason is welcome to judge immediately as that is one of the best ribs I have ever had... different, not really BBQ, but damn good.

We have seen this alot this year when it comes to new judges. Its frustrating when you know this is the case by looking at the scores you get, I mean how do you justify it when you get four 9s and two under 5?
My opinion, KCBS needs to take a long hard look at how the scores are coming in and how individuals are justifying such wide spreads in scores espeacially when you have guys who spend hundreds of dollars at a contest only to be slapped in the face by a first time judge not knowing the diffrence between the good and the sublime.
I went to judging school and walked away shaking my head after hearing and seeing what they felt about BBQ. But I have to have faith that if we all express our concerns enough to KCBS changes of some kind will be put in place or somthing that will help fix this madness!

This guy can judge immediately. His wisdom transcends!

Bossman - How are you 100% sure they are new judges giving you the 5's ? 7

That would be my question too. It seems alful funny though that a few have posted that the judges were evenly dispersed. I am not a computer guy or a number cruncher, but it would seem to me that there would be some way to know how many contest judge 1 has done...judge 2...I can then say the experienced BBQ judge likes my producted the inexperienced does not or vice versa. As I sit here and type this I ask myself why would I care? For some reason it made sense when I was typing it.

Also, that same person stated that all the tables were divided evenly between newby and veteran judges,

Thank you Robert see above.

Getting paid $300 to go to the bathroom, very nice!

First question is when do you taste your brisket? I put extra slices on a cutting board and leave them until I think the judges are eating them. At less than 30 team contests (5 tables) I assume 15 minutes after I send the box off is when a judge is eating (maybe a couple earlier).

What an Outstanding idea, I must try this in 09...Man I wish I had a original ideas like this, still nice when others share!

Was feeling so bad for Benny and Funtime BBQ last night cuz he listen to me on his brisket and did most of what I told him, he came in 48th. I thought that was bad.

Lets just say I dont think you guys are capable of a 51st, guess the judges have proven me wrong. But what do I know, most of the BBQ folks in CA see no reason for us to change anything. I guess they are right!

I had previously planned to take the judging class at this event but decided against it simply because of the time commitment to also compete. Looking back on it, maybe it would have provided me more insight on what was emphasized and what the judges were looking for. Who knows if it really would have mattered. We can only move forward, learn from our mistakes, build on our successes, pay attention to constructive criticism and approach the next comp as a new beginning.

P.S. That presentation box was the bomb.

Back