Kiln-Dried Wood vs Green Wood

Libertarian

Full Fledged Farker
Quick question guys - we have a company here that specializes in kiln-dried firewood. Very consistent splits of mostly oak. They also have restaurant-sized splits which are smaller and they supply a number of local restaurants with wood for smoking, pizza ovens, etc. They also have the option of green wood which will contain 60-70% moisture content vs 8-15% on the kiln-dried. Now that I have purchased a stick burner, I'm going to need a lot more wood. Any thoughts on whether you would go with the dried wood or the green wood?

I worry the kiln-dried is a little too dry although they say you can soak it. Maybe the green is too wet? Just not sure as I've never run a stick burner before. Thanks in advance!

70% moisture content?? yeah I wouldn't be using that. You'd need a raging coal bed to have any hopes of that igniting at all. I personally find 12-15% to be my favorite. Once you get to 20% and beyond I find the splits can be finicky.

I dont think soaking kiln dried is going to buy you much. The water won't penetrate more than a couple mm's into the wood.

70% moisture content?? yeah I wouldn't be using that. You'd need a raging coal bed to have any hopes of that igniting at all. I personally find 12-15% to be my favorite. Once you get to 20% and beyond I find the splits can be finicky.

I dont think soaking kiln dried is going to buy you much. The water won't penetrate more than a couple mm's into the wood.

So really 8-15% moisture content would be just fine...or at least that's how I'm reading your post.

I would opt for the green and season myself. Kiln dried maybe too dry and lack many of the subtle flavor components. Then again, what do I know.

I would opt for the green and season myself. Kiln dried maybe too dry and lack many of the subtle flavor components. Then again, what do I know.

Not a bad idea but I need some wood now...I still can't quite figure out what level of moisture content is actually preferred but I guess opinions on that are probably all over the place.

Get the green splits and let them sit for a while If there is an orchard in your area that is a great place to find wood to smoke with

... I still can't quite figure out what level of moisture content is actually preferred but I guess opinions on that are probably all over the place.

I would think anything less than 25-30% MC would be fine. I never measure, I just take a piece off the "drying pile" every now and then and test it while I am smoking something. When it starts and burns to my liking, the drying pile becomes the dry pile and time to start a new drying pile.

Get the green splits and let them sit for a while

IMHO kiln-dried is an unnecessary step and likely makes the wood needlessly more expensive.

But it can take 6-12 months or more to air-dry wood sufficiently depending on tree species and where you live.

You indicated you were in a hurry. Kiln-dried will work though it may burn a little faster than you'd wish. It shouldn't make the fire hotter or harder to control - just faster to light.

Hey, Lib. Call Van's Tree Service. He delivers pecan, hickory and oak to me when I need it. Very reasonably priced and seasoned well.

Kiln dried is good. You won't lose any flavor, unless you like some dirty smoke. Some people do, similar to liking the smoke flavor of briquettes. The issue tends to be the price. If you can get it at a good price it's great to cook with. Soaking the wood is never a good idea.

It actually will burn hotter because no heat is lost evaporating water. The upside is that you need less wood to generate the same amount of heat. Burning drier wood is more efficient.

Kiln dried is good. You won't lose any flavor, unless you like some dirty smoke. Some people do, similar to liking the smoke flavor of briquettes. The issue tends to be the price. If you can get it at a good price it's great to cook with. Soaking the wood is never a good idea.

This is good to know. I'm not super concerned with the cost - I'm more concerned with losing flavor from the kiln-dried wood. If that's not the case, all the better. My wood pile is pretty full at the moment and they deliver the kiln-dried on a nice, convenient pallet. I have bigger splits in for my fireplace and firepit that I want to keep for this winter.

Much appreciated.

Back