Kids Q Events. **Lets Discuss **

My daughter entered her first kids Q in Frisco this past June. She was accidently placed in the older kids catagory and placed 3rd!! I dont think it would hurt to have the ages of the kids on the boxes, but that said I know I want my kids to continue on with this when they get older and so they learn the rules from us.
I think the Kids Q just prepares them for competition later in life. Either way I dont think it would make to much diffrence in judging the kids Q.

I am not able to prep food before I get on site. I do not leave my site unattended at any time to allow my personal belongings to start disappearing. I have way too much money wrapped up in my equipment. When I go to a contest I am all about my bbq and stay with my stuff unless I have my son there while I walk away for a brief moment. I am a one or two person show so I don't have the capabilities to prance around and BS with everyone like I'd like to. So, you see why it is not convenient for me to cruise out among the masses. Also the kids q I have encountered have all been during my busiest time for my turn ins. Now if they did it on Friday evening arrangements could possibly be made to have someone be at my site to watch it.
I love my children and they know it, but they know it's not smart too to let your valuables unattended anywhere, anytime.

Last edited:
I am not able to prep food before I get on site. I do not leave my site unattended at any time to allow my personal belongings to start disappearing. I have way too much money wrapped up in my equipment. When I go to a contest I am all about my bbq and stay with my stuff unless I have my son there while I walk away for a brief moment. I am a one or two person show so I don't have the capabilities to prance around and BS with everyone like I'd like to. So, you see why it is not convenient for me to cruise out among the masses. Also the kids q I have encountered have all been during my busiest time for my turn ins. Now if they did it on Friday evening arrangements could possibly be made to have someone be at my site to watch it.
I love my children and they know it, but they know it's not smart too to let you valuables unattended anywhere, anytime.
I did not know that other kids q were on turn in day.I have only seen 3 and they were all the day before which is where they should be. I assumed that they were all like this. Do you do contests in bad neighborhoods? I leave my site and i have never had anything stolen and have never heard of that at any contest.I could see that you would be worried if a certain tribe of illuminati were cooking though. I have heard that they are dangerous and perform these criminal acts of which you speak

As I began to read the thread, my thoughts immediately went to my old Pinewood Derby days in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts; Larry hit it right on the head earlier.
Kids Q is great but only when the kids are really doing it; it is natural for parents to want to "help" but as many of us know, often times it goes way too far.
Grouping by age might be a good idea; another would to have different "divisions" for the Kids Q. eg beginner, intermediate and advanced based on factors such as age and number of prior contests entered in; sort of a seasoned factor/experience if you will. That way an 8 or 10 year old with a few contests under his or her belt might qualify for the advanced division or whatever.
Still it all boils down to whether it is really the kids doing the work or turning in the results of a lot of parental involvement.
If you ever were in a pinewood derby or saw one when your kid was in the scouts, you know what Larry and I are talking about.
Dos centavos,
gracias.

I did not know that other kids q were on turn in day.I have only seen 3 and they were all the day before which is where they should be. I assumed that they were all like this. Do you do contests in bad neighborhoods? I leave my site and i have never had anything stolen and have never heard of that at any contest.I could see that you would be worried if a certain tribe of illuminati were cooking though. I have heard that they are dangerous and perform these criminal acts of which you speak

No I don't do contests in bad nieghborhoods, I just hear too many stories and have fell to being a victim one too many times. I have many thousands of dollars tied up and don't care to take chances. I have a full plate the way it is my friend. ~Jim

As I began to read the thread, my thoughts immediately went to my old Pinewood Derby days in the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts; Larry hit it right on the head earlier.
Kids Q is great but only when the kids are really doing it; it is natural for parents to want to "help" but as many of us know, often times it goes way too far.
Grouping by age might be a good idea; another would to have different "divisions" for the Kids Q. eg beginner, intermediate and advanced based on factors such as age and number of prior contests entered in; sort of a seasoned factor/experience if you will. That way an 8 or 10 year old with a few contests under his or her belt might qualify for the advanced division or whatever.
Still it all boils down to whether it is really the kids doing the work or turning in the results of a lot of parental involvement.
If you ever were in a pinewood derby or saw one when your kid was in the scouts, you know what Larry and I are talking about.
Dos centavos,
gracias.

I know there are differences in the situations but is enough similar that solutions might be the same.

I ran cub pack and district wide Pinewood Derbys for 15 years. It was easy to tell when a seven year old made their car and when the adult "helped" make the car.

What eventually worked, pretty well, was getting the kids to police the adults. Kids, for the most part, have a tremendous sense of fair play. We ultimately got all the kids together with the adults in the back of the room and told them they were supposed to build the car and adults could only answer questions or show them something.

We explained that it wasn't fair to boys who had fathers that weren't handy around the house, or didn't have helpers. It was amazing how many boys told their parents that they couldn't help because "it wasn't fair."

I don't know what kind of cooks meetings they have, but chances are adults don't spell it out the way kids understand. If you tell a kid it's cheating if dad does the work chances are they will set dad straight when the time is right.

We also had an adult race for adult built cars, but in the Q events that's pretty much already done.

Amen

Dos centavos,
gracias.

I came to the same idea. I was involved with the old original Soap Box Derbys in Akron Ohio. Parents were all too involved. yet, I'm thinking of our grand daughter and would love to encourage her interest in our crazy hobby known as BBQ!!

I have watched for the last 2 years the "Kids Q" at New Holland. This year we were set up right behind the them. I watched as most of the kids did a great job. But as always there are some parents, especially one, every year, that feels the need to win a trophy for their kids. It's terrible to hear one of the kids asking their Mom or Dad "why is this guy doing all the cooking". I had the pleasure of being next to the little girl that won for desert. She did a great job cooking all day and she did it all. I also watched as she became very upset watching "you know who" do all his kids cooking-- I MEAN ALL!

I also watched Slednecks son do it all, I mean everything. From the setup to the prep, right through to the turn-in. I wish I had as much heart as this kid. This kid is a winner and will be kicking our butts in years to come.

So I guess age groups are one thing to look at, but having BBQ Police enforce the spirit and rules of the Kids Q might be more worth while.

Mike

I'd be afraid to do all the cooking for my kid. I mean if someone beat your kid and you did all the cooking it means you lost to a 10 year old.

I do not have any Kiddos young enough for Kids Que.
I do have a couple of GrandKiddos that would make the cut for age if they were around me enough.
With that said.......

The Kid's Ques I have seen have had two exemptions for adult "help".
One for for lighting (maybe tending?) the fire and the other was for "knife work".
On the surface, both make sense for safety reasons.

But, when you step back a bit....

Chimneys can be dangerous for anyone at any age.
So, have any adult light the chimney and place it in the pit for the Kiddo to maintain from there. Handling the coals with tongs is not that dangerous for any Kiddo who is capable of competing.
Or--just use "sawdust stick" lighters and add a bit of time to the startup schedule.

"Knife work" ? Just use things that do not need it for the ones who are younger! Burgers, Brats, Chickie parts (pre-trimmed), etc do not need knife work. Once they are 10(ish), they should be able to safely handle a knife.

Just require that all materials be at the cook site prior to starting, get the fires going, and keep adults totally out of the area except for Reps or safety monitors!

Easy Peasy!

These events are great and the Kiddos represent the future of BBQ.
It should be easy, safe, fun, and rewarding for them the the Farkin' Parents need to stand back and watch!

JMHO!

TIM

Depending on age I think parental involvment should differ.
My daughter was 7 for her first. She created her own spice mix, did the mixing and prep work. I set her grill up. She's too young to be messing with fire. She did the turning of the meats, but i did the temp checks while on the grill. She pulled the meat off and I held the plate. Then from that point on she was on her own.

At an earlier comp the team next to us suffered a kids q casualty. Poor kid charred his leg on his cooker. HUGE burn. Not sure how it happened or if he was supervised or what. But I wouldn't leave my kid alone with a cooker. I'm just funny like that.

Exactly. Comps at that hour are a flurry of actvity and no time for other distractions.

IMHO, The Kids q should be off from the main camp(they should have a kids setup in a coordend off area). Even if its just a table an box of ingriedents and a kettle.

A parent should be allowed at the kids camp, Sit down, and STAY DOWN. Work as a consultant, not chef. Same for doing the boxes. This would be easier to take if the judging is adjusted to age groups specific

Also, IMO, The parents shouldnt be manning the grill. Sit down, watch them, make sure they are safe, but do not do the work. It is possible as shown in this thread. !

Phil - First let me state that I understand you are assuming that Turn is not on KCBS turn in day. For us middle coasters. 75% of the time turn-ins are on the same day as KCBS - so I am assuming for my comments that this is a Sat. morning turnin :smile:

I disagree about having an "area" for kids que. Several issues. a
1. Logistics - getting your kiddos cooker up to the location, and back (esp. w/hot coals.) is troublesome at best. trying to drag a cooker for 100 yards across gravel or grass is no fun.
2. Having 12-50 parents trying to get grills into/out of area with hot coals sounds like a burn waiting to happen.
3. This area for the kids should be properly shaded and equipped for the lil cooks to do their thing - tables, chairs, room for a small cooler for garnish,etc.

I much prefer the way Laurie, MO does their contest. They send a representative to your site to oversee the kids cooking ( and ensure the parents aren't). Your child can utilize all the tables, etc in their own camp that they are familiar with.

6 of 8 of the contests we have cooked where they had the kids together in an area were unshaded, and the parents had to bring a table, chairs, cooker, coolers for meat and garnish, etc. -- so it is no small feat to get everything together and up to the kids area. The worst part of most "kids areas" is the lack of shade however - typically there is none, so the kids are out in the sun, with grills all around them - so they get blasted with heat from the ground and the sky. We end up taking an EZup in some.
I say do it at the team sites, with a rep who comes to watch the child during the process. That works out GREAT!

On parents manning the grill - I Partially agree here -- My daughters are 4 and 6. Perfectly capable of using long tongs to flip wings, but with arms to short to open/close the grill lid. Kim or I are there always to "follow orders" - an "open the lid/ close it dad", etc. So I man the grill - but don't make any of the decisions. I listen for Kaylin to bark orders at me.

ok.. to me.., all bets are off if Kids Q is the day of KCBS turnin. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anything i address here in my posts, assumes Kids Q is on a seperate day.:cool: I havent seen one yet the same day of KCBS.. not around here. If my kid wanted to compete for a 1030 turnin, and it was in a different camp.. "sorry charlie, dont burn yourself, and heres the bandaids." :oops:

No way I can do that the day of KCBS turnin, someone would be rolling me out on a stretcher. :oops:

Most of our contests have a kids Q turn in between 9:30-11:00. It only works if I have Kim there with me to help supervise. No way I could do both without a second set of eyes.

Brent from the Slabs is 15 and in his last year of Kids Q. I have seen him offer to mentor a child in Kids Q. I think this is an OUTSTANDING idea he had and wish it could be on a large scale basis.

In regards to "parent Q", we have been to a couple of contests where a volunteer shows up on site at each kids' family camp to supervise the cooking and see that it is not done by parents. That makes it easier on the parents.

And guys, Jim cooks by himself at many contests I've seen. Some contests around here are notorious for scheduling a Kids Q at times that are not convenient for teams. Blue springs, for example, has Kids Q turn-in at 11:30 am on Saturday, 30 minutes before KCBS Chicken turn-in. If I was cooking by myself, my kid would not get to do Kids Q. As it is, I don't get to see some of them myself but rely on seeing photos afterwards. Dillon, Colorado... I saw none of it. I had to stay at camp to vend. It isn't fair at all to suggest that Jim COULD make time to spend with Kids Q.

I have to agree here. Jeff and I both rely largely on our wives to help with the girls in the Kid's Q's. If it is early morning, I fit it in, if it is later - I can't make it work alone.

Depending on age I think parental involvment should differ.
My daughter was 7 for her first. She created her own spice mix, did the mixing and prep work. I set her grill up. She's too young to be messing with fire. She did the turning of the meats, but i did the temp checks while on the grill. She pulled the meat off and I held the plate. Then from that point on she was on her own.

At an earlier comp the team next to us suffered a kids q casualty. Poor kid charred his leg on his cooker. HUGE burn. Not sure how it happened or if he was supervised or what. But I wouldn't leave my kid alone with a cooker. I'm just funny like that.

As far as the judging goes - I think many of the contests around here have separate tables for the two age groups. I think you do need to keep the "flights" based on age: 5-10, 11-15. One contest usually only has a handful of kids, so they put them all in one group. so a 6 year old is up against a 15 yr old. Kaylin likes cooking it also, just to see if she can hang with the older kids. I dont think how you do it matters as much as how you position it with the kids. The whole point is to spark their interest in cooking, and engage them. You want a positive, rewarding experience - these are the BBQ'rs of tomorrow. As long as the kids are given a way to have fun, learn about que, and cook with mom/dad as a mentor, structure the judging however you like - they are all winners, as are we when that happens.

Just knowing you were in the area is enough for me to want to guard my site, if you know what I mean.:wink: :biggrin:

Back