THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U2CANQUE

is Blowin Smoke!
I am going to get my girlfriends son entered into the kids contest in Madison IN and wondered what anyones experience is with this. He is by no means a chef in the making, but, the kid loves bbq contests, and is now officially hooked on the experience. I was just wondering what anyones experience has been.....I know he is not going to put out a postcard moment....but he is excited to do the hamburger themed contest....

Do the kids just usually do a burger, or, hit the plethora of an iron chef deal, where they mix up a combo of burger themed meal?

Thanks for the input....

I am curious, do the kids do the cook by themselves or can the parents help as long as they don't do all the cooking?

I am curious, do the kids do the cook by themselves or can the parents help as long as they don't do all the cooking?

Guiding principle is that the kids should do as much as possible and parents should do as little as possible. Safety should also be a concern.

Guiding principle is that the kids should do as much as possible and parents should do as little as possible. Safety should also be a concern.

What are the ages for a standard kid comp? I am currently teaching my 4 year old Step daughter to cook and she loves it. I know she is to young right now but I am looking to the future and hoping she stays with this new found love of cooking.

I looked into this and it is a ground beef cookoff at Madison. My boy is going to enter.

my 7 yr old is cooking his first at new holland in aug. my understanding is i can take care of the fire and any cutting that he can't handle. we have practiced at every contest this year he would cook chickin drums and steak skewers for us for lunch. him and one of the other dads sons on the team are having a blast and thats what its all about

yeah, he is excited about trying to do it.......showing him how to get it started and all.....we are doing it for one of his scout badges.....it is just great to see the excitement for something that he gets to do, instead of watching...

Kids Q's are awesome!! Want a way to get your kid "unplugged"? Get them cooking for bragging rights. Wyatt is addicted, and has actually decided to leave the kids Q areas to cook with the team...

i think it is 5 to 10 and 11 to 15 in the age groups

caleb my 8 year old loves it the only thing that i do is use the knife and i do all of his cutting for him the rest is done by him the makes us hambugers durring the week to keep in the game (yes i am tired of hambugers:shock:)

but it is just what us dads do:p

he got 4 this weekend with his new hambuger and now he wants to go back to his old one so we will see

york

my son was ranked higher than i was last year:wink:

Ok..where are they coming up with their recipes? Do you help them at all with that? I just can't see a 5 year old making a recipe that would be good and that didn't include candy or cereal.

huhneypaspiglet-1.jpg

proof that we are a bunch of fools who get carried away a little.....getting the kid a logo for his kid comp team....yeah, I know, overboard......but, you should have seen his face when he saw his logo.....and hell, he now has more sponsors than I do.....

Ok..where are they coming up with their recipes? Do you help them at all with that? I just can't see a 5 year old making a recipe that would be good and that didn't include candy or cereal.

we fine recipes all over the place on back of hines 57 bt
sunday newspaper friends and family cook books

i will mix the seasoning up for my little man and he will put the zip lock of stuff in the meat and work it in then he will make the hambugers

york

Thanks a lot.....really appreciated......I told him that he is responsible for finding 3 recipes for the weekend....then we will practice.....If anything else, like I said, I wanted him to have that pride of doing it....and earning his badge as well.....he is so funny watching him "plot" strategy......my little entertainment for a few days

Ok..for those that have kids that will be competing...we need as many pics as possible and a great story to go along with it.

I would love to be able to read a childs journey through a comp.

Back