KFC Nashville Hot Chicken Bites

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Did you know there's a throwdown going on? Not too late to enter!

Cut up some chicken and velveted it to tenderize. Really easy and it does work, ask any Chinese restaurant. This works for beef as well, but it's for pieces, not whole muscles. https://www.recipetineats.com/velveting-chicken-chinese-restaurant-tenderise-chicken/

fmYAreRh.jpg

Gave them a dunk in buttermilk, the seasoning and also had a bit of scotch bonnet pepper sauce left, so I threw that in too. Then a dredge of flour, baking powder, corn starch,Hot Chicken seasoning and some Crucible rub. Sorry, forgot pics.

Onto the Big Joe

jlm9hHAh.jpg

All done, give em a dunk and add a pickle to cool it off...

0FbL4fIh.jpg

1HtBN0mh.jpg

SPICY!!! Thanks for looking.

I happen to be cooking chkn breast tomorrow so I might give that velveting a try.
It looks great!

Bravo, Andy! Very tasty looking bites, indeed. Where did you get the Nashville sauce and seasonings? I think we gotta try that!

Why have I never heard of this "velveting" technique? Guess I don't get out often enough.

No, I'm not going to hit the thanks button until I try it.

My chicken breast nuggets aren't near as tender as a local non-Chinese place that sells boneless wings (the aforementioned chicken breast nuggets).
My girl says they are better than mine and it irks me that they are. They are T-E-N-D-E-R. Manager says he uses never frozen chicken and brines it.

Maybe baking soda is a way around that? I will try.

P.S. I know boneless thighs are better and more tender and more flavorful, but she insists on white meat. :doh:

Back