KFC attempt

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Tasted excellent but I think I made my batter to thick. Didn't get real crisp but I threw on the kettle to soon also. Next time I wont use boneless skinless chicken breast. Great recipe. Can't wait to try again.
SAM_0287.jpg
SAM_0288.jpg

SAM_0289.jpg
SAM_0290.jpg

Thanks. I wanted to cook longer but got worried since I was using skinless boneless breast I would dry it out. Temp wise I cooked to 175 in one spot but was still really tender.

What temp did you cook it at? Looks good to me!
I think 350 or so. I put a cast iron skillet on the grill after the grill was at 350. I was worried about losing the batter using skinless chicken. I should have let the cast iron heat more.

Have faith - you would have done fine -
When I cooked mine yesterday I used a dry dredge and wasn't sure about it because when I made it before I used a batter - the dry worked great too. I want to try skinless next time.

Did you use the butter dip? Or spray with cooking spray mid-cook?

Assuming the weather holds out, I'm gonna try this out on Saturday.

And I'd eat that for sure....

I think I've been talked into trying this tonight. I do like the idea of boneless/skinless chicken breasts since my wife doesn't like eating off the bone, and of course the kids like chicken strips etc.

I use skinless chicken myself and put it directly on the grates. I've used both thin and thick batter. With a thick batter, it shouldn't be a problem getting it to set. You do need a hot fire. I've never done it in cast iron, but if it wasn't up to temp then that batter is not going to crisp. It looks good from here though. :thumb:

Did you use the butter dip? Or spray with cooking spray mid-cook?

Assuming the weather holds out, I'm gonna try this out on Saturday.

And I'd eat that for sure....
I dipped it in butter. It was good just didn't get crisp. I will be trying again tomorrow. I think I my cast iron pan was not hot enough. I didn't hear a sizzle sound when I put it on. I'm going to try right on the grate tomorrow.

Back