KCBS members speak out

I done see this as any benefit to any KCBS team and it isnt going to be a discount to any team. They say we get to keep the money but remember if a contest needs more money they will raise the fees or get more sponsorship, we dont need KCBS to tell us that! Only the non member teams will be charged more, you as a team will not see a discount. Trust me on that. No contest fees will be going down to collect one or two $25.00 fees for non-member teams. Also the letter stated that this would be mandatory in 2009 so they must be headed toward a 2010 members only cookoff. Guess we will have to wait and see. Also as an organizer we have not been told how we are to know who is a member or not? I feel if they need or want a membership drive there are many better ways to do this.

Arlie

A discount to members could be a great idea

Give the discount to the organizer by dropping
the cost KCBS charges us for each team
cooking the contest. :)
KCBS members would be less.

Last edited:
Hey Merl,

Anytime I have had a question I have always gotten a response from Jim,Mike Lake or yourself and thank you for that!!

I know this is a little off of the topic here, and I may catch some flack for it, but can anything be done about improving the Bullsheet ? Is the BOD even involved with the Bullsheet ? There is never a column from the President or any member from the BOD. We get the meeting minutes but they seem to be 2 months behind. In m opinion if there was more communication from the BOD, things might go smoother, and I think the Bullsheet could be a good way to open up those lines.

I was just curious about the Bullsheet, it could be so much more, but I also know the people that are doing it are doing the best they can.

heres another hijack... Not to sound like a politician, but this IS exactly the stuff we can do if I, or Smoke_in the_eye, or Sledneck get onto the BOD. Open communitcations directly to a BOD members that can be brought straight to the BOD table. This may ultimatly wind up as a hotseat if any of us get in, but will definatley strengthen you voices to the Board. Good stuff. !!

Hey Merl,

I know this is a little off of the topic here, and I may catch some flack for it, but can anything be done about improving the Bullsheet ? Is the BOD even involved with the Bullsheet ? There is never a column from the President or any member from the BOD. We get the meeting minutes but they seem to be 2 months behind. In m opinion if there was more communication from the BOD, things might go smoother, and I think the Bullsheet could be a good way to open up those lines.

The Bullsheet's content is almost volunteer run. Many articles submitted by members are published. There is not a clear set publication policy.
The minutes are late because we publish after the minutes have been approved. Therefore 1 month later the minutes are approve but are two months behind by the time published in the bullsheet. There are ways to improve on this, if the BOD is willing.

Many of the BOD have put in articles about programs they are doing. However, there seems to be selective editorial, and my last article about judging was pulled by Carolyn and Mike. I did not know they were the editors, but Oh well.

Last year we made an effort to open the doors of the BOD to the members. As promised, we brought forth motions which were approved which:
1. Allow members to attend the BOD meeting, no longer a closed meeting.
2. Required BOD to publish requested action items 72 hours in advance.
3. Required the Exec/Dir to publish an agenda 48 hours in advance with requested action items to be details.

The year prior, was the first year, we published the BOD e-mail address!

Members now have a direct line into the working of the BOD.
We are not finished. There are more items which need to be address for our organization to hear from our members. One problem is that I really do not receive that many calls or letters from members. I read a lot on the forums, but not a great deal of direct mail.

Have a happy new year.
Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook
mwhitebook@kcbs.us

heres another hijack... Not to sound like a politician, but this IS exactly the stuff we can do if I, or Smoke_in the_eye, or Sledneck get onto the BOD. Open communitcations directly to a BOD members that can be brought straight to the BOD table. This may ultimatly wind up as a hotseat if any of us get in, but will definatley strengthen you voices to the Board. Good stuff. !!
I am always open to emails from members. I will bring them to the board without hesitation. You just need to send me the emails. We all have email addresses posted on the KCBS website.

Remember that the KCBS board members e-mail links are on the KCBS web site. But they are easy to remember. Its the first initial and last name at kcbs.us
Every member should feel they have access to the BOD.
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook
mwhitebook@kcbs.us

Merl, Thank you for all that you do on the BOD.

Thank you for giving us all heads up here ref; KCBS as well! It much more appreciated by all of us more than you probably realize.

Thanks to Carol for all the hard work she puts in as well.

I know it can be a very nerve wracking position at times, but we here all have concerns. Thanks for allowing us to express our concerns to you here on this forum as well.

God Bless Merl and Carol Whitebrook.

Back