KCBS election thoughts

It's really simple and it seems the current board just doesn't get it! Jorge asked what the role of the KCBS Board should be and after thinking about it, here's my thoughts:

I can think of five functions off the top of my head:

1. To continually look for ways to improve the membership experience for ALL members – cooks, judges, organizers, reps and anyone else who gives their hard-earned money to KCBS. Examples: For cooks, this means a solid set of rules with ridiculous and petty items removed and working towards more consistent judging. It means allowing for the ability to track ANY team's results and ranking on the KCBS site with the best technology possible, not just the top 25. For judges, it means caring enough to keep them updated with the latest info and opportunities for continuing education. For organizers, better info packets and resources to help them achieve success and maybe a forum on the KCBS site where organizers can discuss issues amongst themselves similar to what we have here. For Reps, it means making sure they have all of the tools and training to do their jobs effectively INCLUDING a new software system for scoring that will immediately upload results to the KCBS site and update rankings. For everyone, it means continual new discounts and freebies for items and services we all want and can actually use.

2. Promote the organization and its mission statement. I wonder how many of the current board members can recite the KCBS mission statement word for word. I wonder how many of them have even an idea of how to paraphrase it. Here it is: "To celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine." You've read the minutes and listened to the meetings both on the phone or mp3. Is what you hear each month supporting of this mission statement?

3. Support the office staff - this does not mean tell them on what brand of tissue they may wipe their noses or what type of light bulbs must go in the fixtures in the office. They have put quality people in those positions who CARE about barbecue and the members of KCBS. How about we let them do their day-to-day jobs and support them when they ask for support. Otherwise, the board should spend their time looking at the big picture and how we remain a solid organization into the future.

4. Lead by example - As cooks, when we talk about our culture to outsiders, we almost always, at some point in the conversation, make a comment like "Barbecue people are the best. Even though we compete against each other every weekend, we will help out a fellow competitor in need and we spend many hours enjoying our comaraderie at potluck dinners and so forth..." The Board does not operate in such a fashion. We all know this. The leaders of the organization should reflect the values and attitudes of its members. Their actions should reflect what we, as members believe is the correct way to act as a part of the barbecue community. If not, as Jorge suggested, there should be a code of conduct put in place with consequences for violating the code. Don't make rules of conduct for teams and say they can be punished for their behavior at contests when behavior at board meetings can be and has gotten embarrassing at times.

5. Have a vision for the future of KCBS - Where are we going? How will we get there? What will this organization look like is 10 years? 20 years? You can decide you want to go to some location but unless you've been there before, you're going to have to look at a map to determine the roads to take to get you to where you want to go. And if you have no idea where you want to go, looking at a maze of lines on a map will do you no good. In many ways, the board operates like they're studying a map with no destination in mind. We need a five year plan, a ten year plan and a 20 year plan. Those are our destinations. I don't recall KCBS ever telling us what our plans and goals are beyond a year or so. Without such goals (destinations), how do we know what roads to take (paths of action)? Since we got involved with MMA Marketing, things have improved greatly. It's no secret to many that I was not a fan of them or Mike McCloud in the beginning. But I have seen the work they have done and have talked with Mike quite a bit in the last year-plus. Ultimately, when the contract comes up for renewal, it must be renewed. I believe Mike has the best interests of the organization at heart and his company has had some outstanding ideas that we have put into place. Mike has a vision for KCBS and we need that kind of input and contribution. In addition to this, the board must look for other opportunities for growth and most importantly, how to accomodate such growth. With larger and larger membership, the demands will grow and the same old, same old won't work. And what about our kids in barbecue? I know many kids, my own included, really look forward to Kids Q events. I also know that the 5 to 10 year old age group most times has large numbers competing and the 11 to 15 year old group drops off to where sometimes we see only a couple entries at a contest. Why is this? Could KCBS be doing more to promote the kids, who are, as you hear at every awards ceremony with a kids Q, "the future of barbecue". If you're looking towards the future of barbecue, let's spend some time, money and work getting the young ones who compete with their families more interested with programs, more formal events, bigger prizes, scholarships, educational programs and fun things to do. Make Kids Q something more than just an afterthought.

OK, it's almost 1 am and this has gotten way longer than I intended when I first sat down to address Jorge's thought. Time to hit the sack. But these types of ideas are what I'll look for in a candidate myself.

You need to pass whatever you, Scottie, and Todd have been smoking. It must be some good stuff!:p

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

El Jefe in 2011!!!!

Back