KCBS CBJ Class

I say "if possible" because teams already have a good idea as to how their box will lay out for a table of 6. That table of 6 will ultimately determine whether or not they get a call at the end of the day. So, to ask them to jeopardize their day to accommodate a judge in training by forcing them to squeeze in an extra piece may not appeal to many.
The other option is to hand out "sandwich" styrofoam containers that will have a sample for the judge in training to taste. They would not judge that box on appearance as it would be an extra, but would judge the main box on appearance instead. The taste/tenderness score would come from the extra box.

With all due respect, if your idea is to make it a requirement that judges practice (appearance, taste and tenderness) before they become certified, then cooks will have to abide by some new rules, not opt in when and if they see fit.

I do like your idea of providing additional samples in separate containers, although I fear the re-numbering might be clumsy at first.

Why not have a requirement that new judges have to attend 5 competitions and sit as an extra at a table. They would be allowed to judge unofficially and then have their scores reviewed by the reps. After 5 events then they can judge on an official basis. Now they have some "practice" and get a better idea at the variety of appearance/taste/tenderness before they determine a team's chance at leaving happy or not.

That won't work in the outlying regions and does nothing for older judges who have lost their way. It still comes down to consistent training both initially and with follow up training/retraining/testing.

Why not have a requirement that new judges have to attend 5 competitions and sit as an extra at a table. They would be allowed to judge unofficially and then have their scores reviewed by the reps. After 5 events then they can judge on an official basis. Now they have some "practice" and get a better idea at the variety of appearance/taste/tenderness before they determine a team's chance at leaving happy or not.

I think this is a good idea. Teams could volunteer to turn in a second sample box without garnish or appearance for the "probationary judges" with the same number on it (2 or 3 samples for the judges). There is ALWAYS extra meat left over when cooking for a contest and if it would benefit the training of judges, I'm sure teams would volunteer an extra box even if it was only for 1 or 2 categories (have a volunteer pick them up). They can look at the "real" turn in boxes for appearance and judge the taste on the sample box. This would give them some idea of what to expect without tossing them in the fire judging six entries for a contest with permanent results with no experience. Let them compare their scores with more experienced judges and maybe talk to them to see why the judges scored the way they did. I know you can't do this for every contest but it's just my .02 and I think it would benefit everyone in the long run.

I don't know if any candidates for the KCBS BoDs are reading this thread but I would certainly vote for anyone who calls for a moratorium on new judging classes. I say this because CBJ classes have become a cash cow for KCBS and some contest organizers who hold classes every year at the same contests and charge up to $50 above the KCBS membership. These classes are held even when there are already waiting lists of CBJs for their contests. At the very least, a candidate who will at least advocate that a contests not be allowed to hold a judging class in consecutive years would be a beginning. I look forward to reading the candidates statements in the Bullsheet.

I went to the class. I learned a lot' but I am definitely not qualified to judge. I would not want me to judge knowing what I know. I wish it would have been much more detailed. I would not be qualified to judge a big competition. I understand now how you can get a six and a nine from the same table however I will still keep competing cuz its fun

Cooks have a C.D. and rules, typical for all contests, Judges have rules and a C.D. too (I believe).. then why the hell would you not have the same script for CBJ teachers to follow, verbatim, from class to class?.. the words in each class needs to be 100% consistent from class to class. Also, if there are questions, there should be a FAQ that is typical for all people in all classes.

Why not just have a series of videos on KCBS with a test at the end? when you submit your test, you pay your fee.. when you pass the online class, you get your certification.. There won't be any hands-on of the meats, or seeing it in person, but I don't see that being too much of an issue, because those meats are restaurant quality at best, and not a representation of real competition BBQ anyway.

When I took the CCDW class 18 years ago, we had a textbook, and watched a video for about 142 straight hours.... but ya know what?.. every single person who got their license in Kentucky went thru the exact same thing.

I say "if possible" because teams already have a good idea as to how their box will lay out for a table of 6. That table of 6 will ultimately determine whether or not they get a call at the end of the day. So, to ask them to jeopardize their day to accommodate a judge in training by forcing them to squeeze in an extra piece may not appeal to many.
The other option is to hand out "sandwich" styrofoam containers that will have a sample for the judge in training to taste. They would not judge that box on appearance as it would be an extra, but would judge the main box on appearance instead. The taste/tenderness score would come from the extra box.

This is how they do it in the South Carolina BBQ Association. Teams volunteer to turn in an extra box for the novice judges to judge. The novice judges have to judge 5 or 6 times (I forget) before becoming an actual judge. The novice judges all sit at a separate table with a Master Judge and they go over their scores completely independent of the actual scores.

The only issue I could see is that the 30 minute window in KCBS might be too short for a team to build 2 boxes for judging.

Quick question for everyone...

In your vision of the suggested new judge training program, would the probationary period be applied equally to all new judges, across the board ?

It's not unusual to find competition team members taking the CBJ class. Would the probationary period also apply to these team members if they so decide to judge some competitions ?

Would the probationary period also apply to these team members if they so decide to judge some competitions ?

Absolutely.

In my experience, cooks are some of the most hyper-critical judges when they first start out, and some never do get past the fault of comparing every entry to their own turn-ins. Just as judging does not qualify you as a cook, cooking does not automatically qualify you as a judge.

Back