kcbs bod meeting

This is a special meeting and not the regular meeting. I have been fighting issue 8 with KCBS trying to keep a 2012 Sam's event from being scheduled on a weekend with a pre-existing 10 year old contest having more than 50 teams that less than 45 miles distant. I hope the BOD moves the Sam's event.

A cease and desist letter to our British friends doing BBQ? It seems they are biting the hand here. They want to reach out to the international BBQ community yet they send a nastygram? First of all its not binding and secondly it doesn't make us look like spoiled brats. The British might need to sign an agreement with KCBS. But don't cut them off at the pass, especially when you want to outreach!

The whole situation is nuts, this is a forum, and i could have corrected my earlier post because our rules are close but not identical to KCBS. I just find it rather amusing that when i got in touch with the KCBS office prior to starting the British BBQ Society 3 odd years ago they were not interested in the slightest and now we are moving into Europe, in our 4th year of competition, and fairly successful in the UK they want to stamp on us!

Our basic set of rules were used in a competition in the UK called the British BBQ Championships in 2009, a completely separate competition which one of your members Dr Sweetsmoke won, that rules set was given to me by the organiser who helped start up the society, provided scoring system etc.

Interesting times are ahead. :boxing:

Well put...... Stand firm! I for one am behind you. All us Americans are not like the KCBS Board. Anyone from Britain is welcome to come over to Louisiana and do a contest at any time!

There have been many backyard competitions that advertise or list on their entry form "loosely based" on KCBS rules. I wonder if these contests get C&D letters?

There have been many backyard competitions that advertise or list on their entry form "loosely based" on KCBS rules. I wonder if these contests get C&D letters?

I think its because i asked the Jack to provide me with some additional international places to take the BBQ message into Europe and have a few teams earn their way rather than be invited, this is stepping on the toes of the international outreach team which in turn has made us a target, but thats life. Been through a lot worse and have very broad shoulders!

I'm a very simple guy as my long time brothers and sisters know and would love to know what the real issue is without all the fluff. I just want to cook, have a productive business, enjoy Q and chill with friends both new and old not to mention travel the world bring the Q bug with me.

What's the REAL issue
What's the problem?
What's to gain?
What's to lose?
Who wants EXACTLY what from this?
Where is this going?
Why?
Why not?
Where exactly?
Why on this forum and not others?

Why on this forum and not others?

Not sure of KCBS's reasons behind this, i have made my intentions clear to the KCBS board, Jack Daniels and some of our teams.

I have raised this topic on the Society forum, but will not breach this forums rules and guidelines referring it to it (this isnt a link before someone points out the obvious:p), and to be honest the teams that compete in the society circuit want to do just that and are not interested in politics or idle gossip.

we relaxed the "other forums" rules last year. Pointing to things of interest is ok.. we just dont want folks coming and advertising/promoting.

Yes people this is the very same KCBS that want to create an international outreach team to assist and educate international teams with a view to us improving ourselves in order to be able to compete with you guys! So the way forward with that is......'don't use our rules at all in order to improve yourselves in the meantime, or else!' So for our competitions we have to follow a different set of rules and if we are lucky enough to qualify for the Jack we have to change completely! It's hard enough competing against you guys anyway. Give us a chance!

Rule number two is the old "one team cooking two contests on one day" rule. I have no idea who it was. I imagine that will be closed session? Maybe not. I have requested to listen in as well. I wonder if they've gathered that the membership is not happy with the way they've made decisions on the international initiative and are going to reconsider? One would like to think they've listened!

ah, i see. i wouldn't have expected a violation like that going all the way to the BOD meeting. figured it was from another set of rules. maybe for BOD members or such.

IMHO, if you can cook 2 SEPARATE contests in 1 day, more power to you. the weight of rule #2 lies in the restriction of 1 head cook entering multiple teams in the SAME contest.

would rather they pursued it without me changing the rules, am very interested to see what their problem actually is, you never know it might not be anything to do with the rules, due to the differences i cannot see how it can be them, but alas who knows.

IMO this is just another example of the KCBS lack of leadership. The tail wags the dog and Carolyn runs it mostly in the back room.
Then when a problem comes up (somebody gets caught) there are no answers and the poop hits the fan.
I'd guess that a couple board members are trying to salvage their trip to Europe without actually committing to do anything specific. A couple others are mad because Toby said he uses their rules and instead of working together with each other, Toby, and our Executive Director they all have their own agenda we all look like fools. And now the ED is all quiet til it blows over.

Dr. BBQ- Knows where all the bodies are buried.

Wow! A lot of discussion.

I know enough about IP law, that I retain a professional in the field. Somebody nailed it earlier. KCBS is obligated to defend their intellectual property or risk losing the legal protection they currently have. There is little choice in the matter.

Toby, with all due respect you forced their hand at least once on this forum. When you stated clearly that the British BBQ Society had used KCBS rules in the past. I listened to your appearance on Greg Rempe's show and learned that you have apparently made some changes since that initial statement. If that's the case, and they are different enough to pass legal muster issue resolved.

There is another option open to KCBS, after sending the C&D which is almost mandatory. The rules and scoring system can be licensed. In some cases I believe that would be beneficial to all.

Edit: I can't slam the board on this issue. They were doing their due diligence to protect intellectual property as they are required to. It may not be pleasant, but it's necessary.

Contest rules aren't IP - if they were then every little league in every sport would be paying fees to the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc or risk C&D letters for their 100 yard football field or 90 foot base paths. The scoring software, yes. the actual weighting and arithmetic, no.

KCBS is pursuing a course of "Broad brush bullying" (a common practice in software, ie Microsoft vs Barns & Noble) where they attempt to claim anything remotely associated with their activity as their IP, then using their larger size and war chest to bully others into compliance with their view of what they think they deserve.

KCBS is going to step on the wrong toes sooner or later and actually end up in court - it won't be a happy ending.

Wow! A lot of discussion.

I know enough about IP law, that I retain a professional in the field. Somebody nailed it earlier. KCBS is obligated to defend their intellectual property or risk losing the legal protection they currently have. There is little choice in the matter.

Toby, with all due respect you forced their hand at least once on this forum. When you stated clearly that the British BBQ Society had used KCBS rules in the past. I listened to your appearance on Greg Rempe's show and learned that you have apparently made some changes since that initial statement. If that's the case, and they are different enough to pass legal muster issue resolved.

There is another option open to KCBS, after sending the C&D which is almost mandatory. The rules and scoring system can be licensed. In some cases I believe that would be beneficial to all.

Edit: I can't slam the board on this issue. They were doing their due diligence to protect intellectual property as they are required to. It may not be pleasant, but it's necessary.

Back