THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am very surprised that the KCBS has taken this to the next level. My gut feeling is that this can only result in a black eye for the organization and alienate the membership in the northeast. I wonder if the KCBS will try to go after other organizations like MABA, FBA etc. I hope the board members carefully considered the ramifications of these actions before acting because I am afraid they have just opened a Pandors's Box that could cost them dearly. I felt it was only a matter of time before the KCBS decided to flex their muscles. As with any organization who has grown very large in a relatively short amount of time, mistakes are made and unfortunately this one will only serve to damage their credibility and reputation.

I didnt know the Reps but I can see why people are upset. If the Reps from my region was suddenly dismissed we wouldnt be very happy without knowing the reason. After a few comps, you get to know these people and certainly try to become friends.

As a contest organizer I will say that our first year we were "unsanctioned" but ran the event as though it was a KCBS event. We even had KCBS reps helping and KCBS judges judging. How ever my rep did pursue the "KCBS license". Which ment we were not sanctioned but had the blessings of KCBS. I personally didnt think that we needed it. We met the requirements of The Jack Daniels and had a Governors Proclimaiton. There is software on the net that is downloadable for scoring a contest. As a member of the Mid Atlantic Barbeque Association I am very worried about this and look forward to seeing some kind of explanation.

www.queandcruz.com

The KCBS BOD did the right thing and Reinstated Ken and Kathy Dakai as Reps and Ken as a CBJ instructor. I'm still not sure what led to their dismissal in the first place but I'm glad the issue was resolved. I guess the KCBS BOD isn't all bad.

The KCBS BOD did the right thing and Reinstated Ken and Kathy Dakai as Reps and Ken as a CBJ instructor. I'm still not sure what led to their dismissal in the first place but I'm glad the issue was resolved. I guess the KCBS BOD isn't all bad.

You're going to have to work to come up with new, and interesting, sigs now:lol:

A new sig? I am having a hard enough time keeping up with his avatar...

Glad this issue was resolved.

In the past I had fleeting thoughts that one nationwide organization for BBQ would be great! Merging the IBCA, KCBS, and all the others smaller groups. However, after reading this pathetic story as well as the others concerning IP, I think I'll stay here and BBQ in little ole Texas with our little ole Texas Gulf Coast organization. KC....BS is right. Ya know we have plenty of room down here for visiting teams.

I think the KCBS BOD should revise our purpose for the KCBS then.

"THE KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY (KCBS), a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and enjoying barbeque, is the world's largest organization of barbeque and grilling enthusiasts with over 8,000 members worldwide."

There should be an insert to that statement... Only if it's a KCBS promotion and we get our cut...

As a KCBS member, I am saddened by this. We, KCBS, can rid of trusted and respected reps.... who is next?

Scottie Johnson
KCBS # 7644

Scotty,

I highlighted a couple of areas I thought was interesting.

Here is what was on their website on 5-14-2007:

What is the Kansas City Barbeque Society?​
The Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS), with over 6,000 members world-wide, is the world’s largest organization of barbecue and grilling enthusiasts.
KCBS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to "promoting barbeque and having fun while doing so."
KCBS sanctions more than two hundred barbecue contests across the U.S. each year and offers assistance to civic and charitable organizations with producing these events.
Sponsors and Cookers know a competition will be officiated fairly when sanctioned by KCBS Rules and Regulations.
KCBS serves as a clearinghouse of barbecue information which provides

• Networking with related trade associations and other contest-sanctioning organizations
  • Tracking trends in barbecue related products, and equipment
  • Teaming up with other food organizations and the media to promote barbecue
With our library, and extensive archive of barbecue related articles, KCBS offers educational programs, consultation services, and civic organization presentations to help spread the gospel of barbecue.
The mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbecue as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
Our goal is to have barbecue recognized as America's Cuisine.

Bill

In the past I had fleeting thoughts that one nationwide organization for BBQ would be great! Merging the IBCA, KCBS, and all the others smaller groups. However, after reading this pathetic story as well as the others concerning IP, I think I'll stay here and BBQ in little ole Texas with our little ole Texas Gulf Coast organization. KC....BS is right. Ya know we have plenty of room down here for visiting teams.

Agree Zilla..!! makes me more thankful we have straight forward rules
to play by, and can just go cook BBQ..and have fun..:-D

Back