THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nobody does sweet sticky brisket here. Most isn’t heavily sauced, and the ones that are that way are the old school places nobody who lives here tends to frequent. I like to think of Kansas City barbecue as a mix of all the best things from each region. I would say the difference in brisket between most places here and central Texas is that the Texas brisket is much more pepper forward.

A couple of the newer places that have popped up recently (Harp Barbecue, Chef J’s, etc) definitely have more of a Texas inspiration to them. If I were to open a barbecue restaurant in KC I wouldn’t try to do “KC barbecue” I would just make good barbecue however way and people would eat it.

Last edited:
I've eaten at more Kansa City bbq restaurants than I have Texas, though it's been a while.
Baby back ribs and medallions of pork tenderloin usually came sauced. Everything else I remember sauces were available on the table. Dad knew a lot of different "hole in the wall" joints. Sweet sauce was an option you decided at your table. I'm sure most of those old spots have either closed, changed pitmasters or owners.

Texas brisket has lean and moist options. The point is served with the flat. KC bbq makes burnt ends out of the point. Kc brisket is usually sliced thinner than Texas brisket. The biggest difference is Texas maintained using wood fired cookers longer. At lot of KC places switched to gas assisted cookers. It happened in Texas too but we had Aaron Franklin and the new school approach that hasn't completely hit KC yet.

Both regions are great. I just think more Texas joints are cooking at a higher level.

Back