Kalua Pork, Huli Huli Chicken, and SPAM

Haveuseen1?

Full Fledged Farker
A friend was having a Hawaiian themed wedding party this past weekend. I was asked to bring some Hawaiian foods. I did a Kalua Pork Butt, about 15 pounds of Huli Huli Chicken, and 4 cans of spam. It was all really good, and I was shocked at how many people went crazy for the spam.

On the Kalua Pork, I used a 9 pound butt, rubbed with 3 tablespoons of liquid smoke, and coarse salt. Wrapped it in Banana leaves, and then foil. Cooked at 350 until probe tender, bone pulled out clean.

On the Huli Huli Chicken, I used the marinade recipe from Amazingribs, and used boneless skinless thighs. It was another winner.

On the spam, I cross cut it, and then sprinkled Yardbird rub, and then HDD! It was a really good combination, and really a big hit.

Attachments

• KP1.JPG
    KP1.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 203
  • KP2.JPG
    KP2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 202
  • HuliHuli.JPG
    HuliHuli.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 205
Mmm spam

That is a very good menu!

Isn't SPAM the official meat of Hawaii? I have seen it in TV shows about Hawaiian food. Anyway...it is tasted when over the fire!

The banana leaves definitely contribute to the Kalua flavor. Just not the same without them. My next pork butt is scheduled to be a quasi Kalua cook. Going to smoke until I like the bark then wrap in banana leaves. I already told my neighbor that I will be trimming one of his trees when it is time.:wink:

Smoking then wrapping is a great idea, I wish I had thought of that. You are correct on the leaves and flavor. I had never used them before, and they worked out perfect and the flavor was really nice.

HDD and Smoked Spam is a really nice combo

That is a very good menu!

Isn't SPAM the official meat of Hawaii? I have seen it in TV shows about Hawaiian food. Anyway...it is tasted when over the fire!

It isn't technically, but Hawaii's per capita consumption of Spam ranks it #1 out the 50 states.

Back