THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and help! I think i'm gonna leave the banner as is and just tell KCBS to add NC to the end for their records. Not sure i will ever run into the other guy with the same name anyway.

For the ribs, i may ride to that BJ's in Cheraw and see what they have, i'll let you know.

Again, thanks for all the help!
I don't know, I'd feel funny about using a name that someone else has already been competing under and has registered. It's kind of the reason they register them on their site....

Like already said, he is doing backyard, not the pro division... all he has to do is add a little something to it and roll with it for now.

And the names are not really registered so to speak, and they are not trademarked, or nothing like that unless someone wants to spend the $$$ to do so, and a few have. The key is to try and come up with something unique, and then do some google searching to see if it is out there somewhere. Also, KCBS has the teams listed that are being used by teams that are members of KCBS. That is how they keep the TOY points straight. Think of it as of a user name....

Skip the people's choice. Not only does it tend to favor the local teams, or the mayor's buddies, or the team that buys the most tickets and votes for themselves, but it will lure you into making a big mistake.

The single biggest mistake I made when starting out was over committing on what I was going to cook. We would get extra stuff thinking it would give us a fallback position if something went wrong, but what happened is we caused things to go wrong by overloading the cooker.

If you don't have the capacity, don't even thing about it. Don't worry about being at A-Hole. People's Choice or not, people will beg for samples, and you will become very good at being potite and chasing them away.

The insight and advice in this thread and in fact the whole Site is priceless. I can't imagine starting out smoking meat without the help I've had from everyone :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The insight and advice in this thread and in fact the whole Site is priceless. I can't imagine starting out smoking meat without the help I've had from everyone :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Without this site and the help of everyone on here, i'd be lost. I cooked 3 racks today, 2 wal-mart spares, and 1 IBP babyracks. Suprisingly, the spares were alot better, and not just to me, to 6 people I invited over to taste test. Heres a pic of my practice box, ALOT harder than i was thinking it would be! Couldn't get the babybacks boxed right, they are too curvy. This is my first practice box ever so go easy, lol.

Attachments

• 105_1124.jpg
    105_1124.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 62
When I called the lady to enter the competition, she asked me what my team name was, I said I don't have one and she said well you'll need to think of something before you sign up. So I put the call out to all my buddies to help me come up with a name, and we went with The Hogfather.

At least you called around. Putting down whatever pops into your head could leave you on a team named after an apron. :becky:

Without this site and the help of everyone on here, i'd be lost. I cooked 3 racks today, 2 wal-mart spares, and 1 IBP babyracks. Suprisingly, the spares were alot better, and not just to me, to 6 people I invited over to taste test. Heres a pic of my practice box, ALOT harder than i was thinking it would be! Couldn't get the babybacks boxed right, they are too curvy. This is my first practice box ever so go easy, lol.

Not a bad start. The rib on the top right isn't cut quite as straight as the others, so it stands out. Try to have the same spacing between the ribs. All together or slightly apart doesn't matter as much as being uniform.

Butch, first good luck on the first comp. we are doing our second ever that same weekend in Charlotte. For the first comp I ever did I had a place called the Meat House special order and trim 4 racks for me. The racks were perfectly trimmed and they were super meaty. I was really surprised at the quality difference over the typical costco ribs that I had been cooking. I think it was the primary reason we took a 4th out of 75 teams. If you are coming up on Friday you could call those guys and place the order and then pick them up when you get in town before the comp. they are about 20 minutes from downtown waxsaw so it wouldn't be too far out of the way.

Butch, first good luck on the first comp. we are doing our second ever that same weekend in Charlotte. For the first comp I ever did I had a place called the Meat House special order and trim 4 racks for me. The racks were perfectly trimmed and they were super meaty. I was really surprised at the quality difference over the typical costco ribs that I had been cooking. I think it was the primary reason we took a 4th out of 75 teams. If you are coming up on Friday you could call those guys and place the order and then pick them up when you get in town before the comp. they are about 20 minutes from downtown waxsaw so it wouldn't be too far out of the way.

Thanks, i will look them up!

Back