Judging Taste versus Tenderness in weighting criteria

I've never gone back to a steakhouse because they nailed tenderness. I have gone back for great flavor and close enough on tenderness.

As for just adding sauce or seasoning, I'm pretty impressed with a cook that can work some magic on bland food between the time it comes out of the cambro and going into the box. Knowing what to add, how much of it, in what combination, is a skill.

Tenderness is a skill as well, but there is a lot more time available to get it right.

I have to agree you have to learn what the flavor profile is that is winning. A judge has to wow'ed by the first bite. They judge 7-12 different boxes and many look for that one winning over the top flavor profile. I joke and call it BBQ candy. I have seen some win with IMO over cooked mushy bark win regularly.

When I first started to compete I'd cook a lightly rubbed brisket that came out with a nice ring, good pull, tender, moist, with a good smoke flavor and the taste of the meat came through. Never got to the last table.

Interesting Topic.
Relatively new to BBQ-Brethren but have been cooking for a long time but not competitively. I am cooking in a local small town competition this weekend and I'm torn on whether to cook my ribs to fall off the bone tenderness or cook them where they require a little tug.
Could you guys give me a little advice as to what direction I should take.
Personally I like a little tug.

Interesting Topic.
Relatively new to BBQ-Brethren but have been cooking for a long time but not competitively. I am cooking in a local small town competition this weekend and I'm torn on whether to cook my ribs to fall off the bone tenderness or cook them where they require a little tug.
Could you guys give me a little advice as to what direction I should take.
Personally I like a little tug.

If it's really a small town competition without certified/trained judges, my advice would be to cook those ribs until they are falling apart.

I may not be a master judge, but I've never said "this tastes awful but at least it is nice and tender" in my life. I'll take taste over tenderness....

But I'd also argue that all the technology to monitor and control cooking environments has taken away some of the art form that made tenderness harder to achieve.

If it's really a small town competition without certified/trained judges, my advice would be to cook those ribs until they are falling apart.

I agree with Eric. I like a bit of tug myself, but I'd bet that these judges want them nearly fall off the bone.

I agree with Eric. I like a bit of tug myself, but I'd bet that these judges want them nearly fall off the bone.

Hell, if they've ever watched Food Network and listened to Bobby Flay talk about ribs they DEFINITELY think that's how they should be cooked. Not to mention if they've ever eaten ribs at all these chain restaurants that are boiled to death and then coated in ketchup and liquid smoke.

Thanks for your suggestions. highergrOund you made a good point regarding new technology. I have several grills but the one I'm using for this cook is my Big Green Egg and I use my Cyber Q to control temp and time. Makes it a lot easier but sure does take away from the old art of having to manually control your cooking environment.
I'm gonna probably try to reach that happy medium of tenderness and sticky.

In my opinion taste is most important...texture is the tie breaker...appearance is the easy "A"...:cool:

In my opinion taste is most important...texture is the tie breaker...appearance is the easy "A"...:cool:

What is your opinion about leaving taste as the most weighted but giving more weight to texture?

ie:

Appearance 10%
Texture 40%
Taste 50%

Back