judge and critique my chicken

I disagree. The smell becomes part of the presentation. When that box opens that the first sense stimulated. If it smelled like dog doo would you give it an 8?

Aroma should be part of your taste score not appearance

Aroma should be part of your taste score not appearance

Chris, maybe you could show us a picture of your first place chicken to give us a point of reference? :twisted:

I agree about aroma being part of taste and not appearance...

Ok I wanted to post three times and walked away because i didn't want to judge a friends box poorly. knowing you though I figured you would be mad if I didn't so here it goes.

I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma. To me the color turns me off a bit which could be the picture. To explain the color isn't "bright" and inviting it has a dullness even though its shiny. The pieces are a bit haphazard in placement which would immediately drop you out of an 8-9 from me. I look for a clean skin as well. I look for that nice white skin below the dressing. Yours shows me a lot of speckling which I immediately question what it is which takes me away from the meat and into speculation. It seems to be large pepper grind or seeds. Possible from the rub or sauce. Thats being super critical of it.

Now don't get me wrong cause I'd still be proud of the entry and would love to know the other scores.

Will the real Judge #3 please stand up?

Appearance is just what it is.. how it looks... you cannot look at smell.

the sense of taste and smell often work in conjuntion with each other when processed by nervous system. Still they are different.

I don't think smell should weigh in on the scores in either category. lots of things smell bad but can look and taste great.

Chris, maybe you could show us a picture of your first place chicken to give us a point of reference? :twisted:

I agree about aroma being part of taste and not appearance...

Honestly nothing special about the appearance, taste and tenderness scores have been carrying it. Plus I'm afraid I'd get bashed for it being too shiny. :roll:

Also in regards to smell, how do you REALLY know what/whose you are truly smelling in a room full of bbq-laden boxes?

Honestly nothing special about the appearance, taste and tenderness scores have been carrying it. Plus I'm afraid I'd get bashed for it being too shiny. :roll:

thank god you didn't hit my table. I saw your shiny arse chicken, you would have been slammed. I would have given your chix a nine all day.

7 or 8 here. Probably an 8 in person as I know the camera tends to sku things.... also I think what looks like a thumbprint in the pic might not be....

Also in regards to smell, how do you REALLY know what/whose you are truly smelling in a room full of bbq-laden boxes?

When that box opens you know where the smell comes from. :lol::lol::lol:

Main Entry: ap·pear·ance
Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)s
Function: noun
1 : the action or process of becoming evident to the senses

Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)sn

I humbly stand corrected Prince Consort.. though maybe KCBS should further define for clarification.. much like parted pork. :biggrin:

maybe not your best but looks pretty good to me Looks way better than a 5. Some Judges are just brutal. My thinking, getting past tough Judges is where most of the luck part comes into play.

Let the judges drink beer and all of our scores would go up. :icon_smil

I humbly stand corrected Prince Consort.. though maybe KCBS should further define for clarification.. much like parted pork. :biggrin:

Ya think so? Both seem pretty self evident to me. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think they said to take in the aroma at my judges class when talking about appearance.

Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)s

appearance (plural appearances)

1. The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye. His sudden appearance surprised me.
  2. A thing seen;

Sorry, nothing about SMELL or Noses in any definition of appearance I can find

appearance (plural appearances)

1. The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye. His sudden appearance surprised me.
  2. A thing seen;
Sorry, nothing about SMELL or Noses in any definition of appearance I can find

ap⋅pear⋅ance  /əˈpɪər
thinsp.png
əns/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-peer-uh
thinsp.png
ns] Show IPA

Use appearance in a Sentence

–noun 1.the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public:

The mind receives stimuli from the senses. Sight sound smell taste and touch. :lol:

The mind receives stimuli from the senses. Sight sound smell taste and touch. :lol:

I guess this means in addition to sight and smell, I should touch it... and also listen to see if the chicken whispers its appearance score to me.

I guess this means in addition to sight and smell, I should touch it... and also listen to see if the chicken whispers its appearance score to me.

well we aren't allowed to touch it but if you are the Chicken Whisperer please teach me your skill. :lol::lol::lol:

Back