Johnson Smokers Reverse Flow Offset Smoker

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Donnie
Hey All,

So after a few months of searching and about a month of waiting for the build completion, I finally got my new smoker this morning. It's a reverse flow offset smoker made by a company called "Johnson Smokers" out of Ennis, TX. The gentlemen who runs the company, Chad, is a hell of a nice guy and spent a good while answering a ton of questions I had.

Here's a few pics of my pit, what he calls the "Ultimate Chargrill Trailer."

http://imgur.com/a/FQp2Z

I got it this morning and spent a few hours seasoning the inside by spraying it with olive oil and then doing about a 3 hour smoke. The firebox on this thing is massive, and it has an inlet on both sides, so air is constantly flowing across the wood and keeping it fully oxygenated. Even with the firebox door fully shut this thing drafts enough air to run a perfect fire and give out nothing but a thin, blue smoke.

I'm a "hot and fast" cook and with just a few pecan splits I was able to keep this thing steady at about 350F and have about a 10F fluctuation for a solid 2 hours. I'm coming off of cooking on a much smaller Yoder offset (Cheyenne) and I'm shocked at how well this pit maintains temp and how little I have to adjust the dampers / vents to keep the temps where I want them.

It's a reverse flow smoker and they have a pretty cool design: rather than the traditional baffle system there's a large diameter pipe (raised on square tubing) which sits on the bottom of the smoking chamber and extends into the firebox. So the pipe drafts the heat into the smoking chamber and out the vent stacks; one stack at each side to allow for the heat and smoke to flow across all surfaces of the smoking chamber. Today I had about a 25F differential between the two door thermometers, but I'm going to play around a bit with the placement of the pipe and see if I can adjust that. Truth be told I like having a differential across the smoking chamber as I can use it to my advantage when smoking different types of meats.

At the far end is a self contained charcoal grill with two racks and a charcoal box. Pretty basic but a nice setup and it will allow for some good grilling every now and again.

I'm going to be using this new pit in my catering company which I recently opened. I think I made a wise purchase here and am looking forward to having some great cooks on this beast!

You made a good choice. Almost certain you'll be happy with that cooker. I searched all over the net on their pits, and like Shirley Fab.....haven't seen a negative review yet....only good things. I was about 3 months away from ordering a Johnson.....it was going to be the vertical 4'x4'. I had already made the 800+ mile road trip and had the chance to 'kick the tires and pull its hair'. Very solid pit. That 4'x4' vertical is a BEAST! Chad had given me great customer service for months via emails and was very accommodating in person as well. It just so happened that a fella in one of our church groups mentioned while we were talking about smokers, that I should check out Shirley Fabrication. I looked into it and saw that it was just a day trip for me to make. Once I saw the quality in one of their builds......I dropped the mic....game over...nuff said.......here's my check. I told Tyler what I wanted....he said "can do"....he gave me a price, and I wrote the check. As much as I still want a Johnson Custom Vertical 4'x4'....I KNOW I'm getting more bang for my buck by going with a Shirley. :)

Nice cooker!

I like your cooker :thumb: and I am glad to hear that you like Johnson because I have looked at and been considering buying one of their products when I upgrade.

I like your cooker :thumb: and I am glad to hear that you like Johnson because I have looked at and been considering buying one of their products when I upgrade.

Right on! Yeah, Chad is a nice guy and answered every silly little question I had. His prices seem to be pretty comparable to the competition, and the build quality is quite high. Certainly worth keeping in the back of your head until you're ready to upgrade. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them as best as I can.

Cheers!

great looking cooker, what is the wait time and the freight cost on these guys ? btw are you a jar head ?

Haha, yeah, I'm a proud jarhead (no longer active though). Did 9 years in 2nd Tanks and got out back in 2009.

As for the cooker, as far as I understand, Chad does 20 cookers at a time, on some kind of "grid" system. I think he said it usually takes him about 6 weeks to get through an entire cycle, so the wait time is usually going to be about 6 weeks. Again, don't quote me directly on that, but if you give him a call he's super friendly and will walk you through his process / answer questions. I believe he also has a few of his more popular cookers in stock most of the time, but again, not 100% sure.

Here's Chad's website for you to peruse at your leisure :
http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/

As for freight, he uses a few guys and they charge $1.25 per mile for a flatbed directly to your location. But I'm in eastern North Carolina, and from Texas that was going to be ~$1600... a bit much. So Chad told me about a website called UShip.com which is kind of like eBay for shipping. You post what you want shipped, its current location and destination location, and truck drivers / shippers will bid for the job to move the equipment. So I got mine shipped for $800, so just about half of what it would have cost going with the flatbed. It spent 4 days in transit, but that worked perfectly for my situation. I could have waited a bit longer and likely gotten a cheaper bid, but I was very eager to get my new smoker. Chad also worked me through how to work with the shippers in terms of bids and how to make sure they are bonded / licensed, etc... he really made sure I wasn't getting screwed over.

Here's the Uship website as well :
https://www.uship.com/

Good luck man!

I made a separate post about this, but after messing around a bit with the RF pipe in the smoker I was able to get the temperature differential to basically disappear. Here's the Imgur album where I show my setup and show the temps on both sides of the smoker.

http://imgur.com/a/VBNef

BigJohnson.jpg

Looks good, what were the dimensions?

Hey JamJam,

I haven't personally measured the smoker but the dimensions listed on the website are as follows :

"Total pit measures around 9ft long and 2ft wide. It consists of a 5ft long main chamber that’s 24 inches in diameter. 4 cooking racks withen the two doors measuring 24” by 22” and 24 by 17” giving you right at 13 square feet of cooking surface. Sitting on top of the firebox is a 20” diameter by 3.5ft tall smoker/warmer. "
http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-chargrill-trailer/

Back