Johnson Smokers - my 30-inch T-Pit arrived

weebler

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
eric
first, thank you to this forum. i soaked up as much information as i could soak up for many months and this forum truly provides a wealth of information. on to the details...

picked up my 30 inch t-pit with a few tweaks/requests:
  • insulated firebox
  • concrete on bottom of firepit
  • single smoke stack with collector at bottom grate level
  • round bar grates
  • 3 shelves and 4 rack positions per door

Chad thought most of these were overkill, but i can tend to be stubborn ;-). loved working with him through the build process and was lucky enough to visit his shop and pick his brain for a bit when i picked up my t-pit. obligatory pictures of the pit...

32547401427_931741aa24_k.jpg

33612615598_a89776645b_k.jpg

Chad recommended seasoning with bacon as opposed to spraying it down with Pam, so naturally i ended up doing both...

32547400857_a257302178_k.jpg

on to the first cook. fairly anemic considering the size of the pit, but she worked like a charm. literally had TBS throughout the entire cook. used about 20 briquets to start, then oak splits the rest of the way. about 8 hours for this cook.

47489303941_5c44107505_k.jpg

was happy to see the new lady liked to settle pretty consistently around 250. snapped a few bad pics of four thermometers i had on the right side of the cooking chamber. need to run more tests, but this is a promising start.

47436431282_f1494614db_k.jpg

47489303741_ccb4fcc9f7_k.jpg

32547401157_1a7c4a0dac_k.jpg

32547401497_6432aa4d9d_k.jpg

looking forward to many more cooks. thanks again, brethren!

Great looking cooker! I see years of great Q coming out of that.

Can't wait to see more cooks on it. I looked hard at these shopping for a new cooker - might regret not having gone with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome cooker! Chad is a great guy, easy to work with, and makes a hell of a product. I was going to buy the 36" T-Pit for my BBQ food truck business, but the weight wasn't going to work on the porch of the trailer. I currently have the Ultimate Chargrill Trailer and it's such a great cooker...nothing but thin, blue smoke and it's so easy to use.

I love the custom touches you've added and I hope it all works out well.

Congrats! Always liked that cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice! I have exchanged a few emails with Chad. He is always super helpful. Post some more cook pics. I'm interested to see how you like it after a few more cooks.

Nice cooker! I was eyeing their 4x4 cabinet when I was shopping around. How easy is it to roll around?

mobility isn't too bad for weighing one ton, but the wheels tear up most anything underneath it. two swivel wheels and two locked in position.

it's final landing space will be a dedicated concrete smoker pad.

Last edited:
That’s a beautiful thang!

A center fired pit always made the most sense to me...

Back