Jerk pork using the vortex and peach wood(with PrOn)

lantern

is One Chatty Farker
I picked up a LOT of meat from deals over the 4th. Yesterday I made pulled pork because due to the diet I hadn't in a while and she said she'd kill me if I didn't make her some BBQ NOW.

Sooo, today I get to make what I want. And if there's anything I MIGHT choose over BBQ it's jerk. Jerk pork to be exact.

First the seasoning is Grace jerk seasoning. I'd heard it tasted a bit like Walkerswood but was a bit hotter. I heard RIGHT. This stuff is definitely hotter than Walkerswood. I mixed it with some safflower oil and malt vinegar along with a bit of kosher salt and granulated garlic. Into a ziploc bag with the meat to get happy for about 12 hours.

The meat was whole pork loin that I parted out into chops from the fatty side and what was left was a roast that I cut in half lengthwise giving it one half with a fat cap and the other is very lean and it has a date with my new grinder at a later date. I used the fat capped lean piece for this cook.

I set the weber performer up with the vortex in the center with Royal oak lump. The chunk of wood is peach that I got from Fruita wood online. Good stuff.

I let it go indirect flipping and rotating until I got the color and temp I was wanting (145ish). I moved the wood and got a good sear on the meat side towards the end.

She doesn't do spicy food.....so....I have the eat it all myself.:twisted:

Here's the seasoning. If you have ever bought this or Walkerswood you'll know that I got a killer deal at $.99 a bottle.

Thanks for lookin'. This was extremely good. I wasn't sure how the peach would do with the jerk. But, it worked great since the vortex had it burning clean. Nice light background flavor while the jerk is punching your tastebuds in the face.

Looks fantastic lantern. Yep fruit woods are the closest you can do to pimento wood.

Pimento wood is farkin expensive! I've always wanted to do an authentic cook. But, to get enough green wood to cook on and steam the food right would be crazy painful to my pocket. I literally could pay for a good chunk of a weekend trip to Jamaica.:biggrin1:

Back