Contest Announcment JD Breast Cancer BBQ Contest, Willowbrook, IL - June 4-5th, 2011

I am not screwing around at westmont. I want the damn win!!! ;)

Honestly, I have no clue where the application for title is with the state. So I probably will not have my plates by then. No plates means no insurance. It doesn't leave the garage with no insurance.

And Ron... I have a special Ez-Up to protect it from the rain... ;)

resurrecting this one, I was wandering if anyone had an idea of how many teams will be doing the B2B points chase?

As Good A Time

Hi all;
Figured now was as good a time as any to jump in and say, "hey".
I judged last years event (non-sanctioned) and decided this year would be my first competition :crazy: I'm excited to participate.
I've registered for the event as: GatRat Smoke Works (last name backwards...)

I look forward to meeting you,
-tartag
(scottie, I'm more of a Beam guy but would love to raise a glass ;) )

Hi all;
Figured now was as good a time as any to jump in and say, "hey".
I judged last years event (non-sanctioned) and decided this year would be my first competition :crazy: I'm excited to participate.
I've registered for the event as: GatRat Smoke Works (last name backwards...)

I look forward to meeting you,
-tartag
(scottie, I'm more of a Beam guy but would love to raise a glass ;) )
look forward to meeting you..I may have last year
hopefully the westmont weather wont rear its ugy head again this weekend

hopefully the westmont weather wont rear its ugy head again this weekend

God I hope not Bill! Inside of my truck looks like Woodstock! Got home Saturday night and felt like I had trenchfoot! I think the shoes I was wearing might just be toast!

Can't tell ya how "good" it felt to go do this the next morning...
memday1.jpg

That M1 felt like a farkin cinderblock! Props to the boys that had to carry those things for real!

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Willowbrook. We'll be there around 3-4 hopefully. Have a food drop in Naperville to do first.

Rookie Move

Ok... I've undergone a name change... In retrospect, last name backwards or not the association with a "Rat" and food probably is ill advised. I've been re-registered as: "Catahoula 'Que"
See ya there. Cheers,
-tartag

Loved It!

Well gotta say I had a great time at my first event. Wanted to throw a huge shout out to Bear Cat Smokers! Joe was a huge help (even if I only believed 1/10 of what he was telling me) :) Same to Mark (? I think it was Mark, i consumed a lot of gin...) "Damn you judge #4!" (now he knows who I mean) whose feedback on my blind box certainly upped my "appearance" score.

Lessons learned:
1) Cook all four categories. Having a frantic KCBS official run into your camp screaming 'Your chicken is late - did you forget your chicken!!!' made me realize cooking only 2 just aint normal...
2) Apparently playing Texas Hold 'em with a peaknuckle deck at a KCBS event is ok...
3) Make sure at turn in I'm well before or after Scott's entry...

Again; thanks everyone I enjoyed it and am sure I'll continue,
-tartag
Catahoula 'Que

Ya did good! And I remember the judge #4 comment from Saturday night shot fairy rounds. You're right, Joe IS a good guy!

Very odd contest in some ways. I didn't make the cooks meeting, but was told nobody could hear there, and I know nobody could hear at the awards.

Only pages 1 and two of the 6 we should have gotten, would like to see if KCBS can supply the remaining pages.

Still scratching my head over the comment card I got on pork. I let them get away from me a bit, so yes, it was overdone, and maybe a bit mushy. but ""The pork tasted rancid like it was old and expired, also mushy texture to it" Does that mean everyone from 15th place pork down had pork that tasted worse than rancid?:becky:

Pork scores were 888 966 899 989 878 and 855...wonder which judge he was:mad2:

I think we are one step closer to a new trailer....first the AC distribution transformer goes, then one of the crane cables on the back corner! Thanks Moose BBQ for the loan of the PVC "strut" Saved our weekend!

Overall, I hope the organizers learned they need beefier power, as there were quite a few power issues. Thankfuly we ran on generator power all weekend, so no worries. I thought they did a pretty good job for a second time event, and would go again, they just needed to manage space a little better.

Congrats to Team Dude, The Powers of BBQ, and all those who walked!

Now I have to go fix my trailer!

Last edited:
The infamous "Judge #4" here checking in and I wanted to say thanks to Joe for letting me help and introducing to many of the fine folks there and welcoming me in. I such a great time being there and I hope to do it again. Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to make me feel welcome and I hope to see you soon.

All I will say is that the next time we cook a competition in the middle of a cottonwood forest I am going to bring a huge net to put over our whole comp site! :-D

The infamous "Judge #4" here checking in and I wanted to say thanks to Joe for letting me help and introducing to many of the fine folks there and welcoming me in. I such a great time being there and I hope to do it again. Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to make me feel welcome and I hope to see you soon.

good meeting you

All I will say is that the next time we cook a competition in the middle of a cottonwood forest I am going to bring a huge net to put over our whole comp site! :-D
funny stuff Ron..yea it was fun setting up turn in boxes with those things sticking to the meat..:mad:

Back