I've Got Wood!! Fruita and Weber first impressions (no burning yet)

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Since its snowing way to much here in PA Im spending way to much time looking at BBQ stuff than cooking it. It also doesnt help Im working 10 hours days and also Saturdays and Sundays. So I decided to start buying stuff, why not right? Got my lightning fast Thermapen in, a Maverick Et-732 and IQue110 on the way, and today I got wood (all this talk about bbq can do that to ya:heh:)

I ordered two shipments of wood, one small box of peach chunks from Fruita wood (http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/) and I also ordered Weber chunks off Amazon.com.

Fruita Chunks:
IMG_0040.jpg

It came in a flat rate USPS box, it claims to be 10-12 lbs but I dont have a scale. And they dont lie when they say they hand pack them in there. This is the first thing I noticed and was very pleased. Second the wood itself was very nice looking, and Im not familiar with peach wood but the colors were great and it smelled like candy (Im REALLY excited to use these).

IMG_0044.jpg

The only thing I was dissapointed in was the actual size of the chunks:
IMG_0041.jpg

They're pretty small and likely will burn up quick, which may result in going through these puppies fast.

Weber Chunks:
IMG_0045.jpg

These are standard 5lb bags. I bought two pecan, one cherry, and one apple. These on the other hand are completely random assorted woods and dont smell that great ( kinda smell like a bunch of wood thats been sitting in plastic bags too long :rolleyes: ). The colors are also very uniform throughout the different kinds and seem a little dirty. Though they arent uniform in size or shape the chunks are generally a good size larger than the peach. Heres a picture with a couple pecan pieces out of the bag:

IMG_0042.jpg

PRICE:

Total amount billed for the fuita wood: $23. Say its 12 pounds, thats $1.91 a pound. If you bought a large box (15-17 pounds) for $29.50 and gave them the benefit of the doubt at 17 pounds, thats $1.73 a pound. The Weber from amazon qualified for free shipping over $25 (thats why I bought 4 bags). At $6.99 a 5 lb bag and free shipping I got 20 pounds of wood for $28. Thats $1.40 a pound.

The Weber is cheaper, and though it was nice to see cherry and pecan (along with apple hickory and mesquite) I really wanted to try some peach (damn you Myron!) The fruita wood definitely looks better initial quality but I'd really like slightly larger chunks.

I also am intrigued by the DoItBest.com that offers free site to store pickup and 10lb bags at $8.99, thats $.90 a lb!! The options for woods are same as weber, with nothing more exotic than cherry. I already had two loads of wood on the way when I saw this so Ill hold off till later.

If I could only work up the time and motivation to dig the wsm out Ill get some reviews on usage!
IMG_0046.jpg

Looks great! I just placed an order for 4 boxes of wood from Fruita. You should ask them for a commission. :)

Thanks for the great info.

I've got 2 large boxes of the peach coming from them next week. Can't wait!

Nice, when you get it can you do me a favor? Please smell it and tell me its awesome. My roomates tell me it smells "like wood" or "like home depot" while im freaking out how wonderful and peachy it smells. I need some backup right now that im not crazy:crazy:

That is great looking peach wood and if you've never used peach you're gonna be real happy with results, especially for pork or chicken.

Nice, when you get it can you do me a favor? Please smell it and tell me its awesome. My roomates tell me it smells "like wood" or "like home depot" while im freaking out how wonderful and peachy it smells. I need some backup right now that im not crazy:crazy:

Can do.

I am done getting my chunks at DoIT BEST and Home Depot. Wood loses that wow factor sitting in bags. I get my chunks from Mainegrilling woods.com

They offer free shipping too!

Last edited:
but that still a lot of money for a little box of wood. if you ever come down through eastern ky I load you down for free. I have 2 big apple I doze down,

Back