I've already been told to say "They're great."

Sorry, but there is no way i'll tell someone that their ribs are as good as mine when they aren't. I don't care if I have to sleep on the couch because of it either.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I am single. Very single currently. Dammit. sort of dammit, I guess.

Personally, I think your wife is asking a lot of you, I don't really understand why she would ask that of you. I can see where she would ask you not to start a fight over it. I would think just saying it is good would suffice and when he says it is as good as yours, just saying 'let's not turn this into some sort of competition' would be good enough.

Then again, I am single.

This post got me thinking. After reading, it makes me wonder why your wife doesn't just have your back. I get the 'keep the peace', but my wife will wax anybody that comes after anything that comes off of my Weber.

first you're being asked to lie. even if you only say "they're great"

on the other hand there's a lot to be said for keeping your Mrs happy. I understand the point. Tough situation.
Sounds like you need to have "food poisoning" saturday. or can you bring your smoker out there and offer to help out?

I would just say "not bad" and if he starts stirring the pot, just say they are not as smoky as you are used to. Play it by ear from there... In the end he's the one making an a** of himself.

I would say they are well made, not talking taste here. If he asks if they are better than yours so no, but everyone thinks that their own ribs are the best, no matter how bad they are to others. Keeps both sides happy. that is the real goal here.

Big Mike

Tell him that they are great because its a whole new taste that you will never find at any competition....

Or just agree to disagree. I have to do that with my father in law :(

People are DIFFERENT....and like different things. Some like Ford, some like
Chevy, some like Dodge, some like Toyota and some like other cars.

Some people think Coors beer is best, others think Budweiser is, others think
Miller or some other brew is best.

Some people like their steak cooked Rare, some like it Medium Rare, some like
it cooked Well Done etc.

Just tell your wife's uncle that you are happy he enjoys his ribs (etc.) cooked
the way he does, and you don't think he should change anything as long as
he is happy with the results he gets. Tell him you have different "tastes"
in how you like your meat cooked and hi method is "right" for him; and your
method is "right" for you.
You don't have to lie to him....just be sincere and tell him you are happy
for him that he has found the cooking method that he likes best and you
don't think he should change as long as he enjoys it.

Just because he may be a Jack-azz; doesn't mean you need to be one
as well. When I was younger I was a jack-azz sometimes. I thought I was
smart and knew most everything; but I was a fool. I didn't know half as
much as I thought I did.

Again; people are different, be polite and let it go, it really isn't worth it
to get into an argument about something like this.

Yeah, Mrs tx even defends my brisket. Wel..sometimes.
I just have to say, having had a few discussions with Mrs. Tex, I don't think this is true. My sense is she is more willing to mock you than any of us are.

Again; people are different, be polite and let it go, it really isn't worth it to get into an argument about something like this.

LOL!!! My wife literally said the EXACT same thing. How funny! :-D And odds are she's more than likely right. I just know how hard I've worked over the years to learn how to smoke ribs and be able to get them to that well balanced state of being smoked, but not over smoked. Being tender but to tender that slips off the bone into mush. Being seasoned but not so seasoned that it takes away from the meat itself.

It ain't easy, it's an art and it takes practice. I know many on this board have put in a lot of time and effort as well and can vouch for anyone who says "It's not as easy as it looks." I'm hoping my expectations will not come true. I'm hoping we get over there and he doesn't say anything. Everybody has a good time and this entire topic isn't even addressed. But the guy hasn't failed me yet. So we'll see...

I am a fan of "they are good, but they are not bbq so I can't really compare the two".

Good luck getting through it, no matter what your chosend course turns out to be.

Id have a cooler in the car with 3 or 4 racks ready to go. When he asks how is are you simply say, "wait a minute", and then break out your racks and give everyone a few bones. Instantaneous throwdown!

+1 to this idea

Only don't wait just come in with them and put them out along side the others. That way you will not be confrontational; you will be the nice guy bringing something to the party.

+1 to this idea

Only don't wait just come in with them and put them out along side the others. That way you will not be confrontational; you will be the nice guy bringing something to the party.

Great idea, just say you forgot that you already took them out of the freezer and didn't want them to go to waste. :thumb:

I agree he needs a good swift kick the stones but you came to the party and will leave with your better half, remember happy wife, happy life!:thumb:

How about this, eat a big breakfast before going then when it comes time to eat just nibble on a few sides and if he asks then say "I didn`t get a chance to eat any I am still sort of stuffed from a huge breakfast" it is a diplomatic way out and you don`t have to lie. If that doesn`t work Cough Cough oh sorry I coughed on you I have been fighting a serious cold I hope I didn`t give it to you.

You need to tell him the truth! You cant let him go around thinking baked and gassed ribs are better than ribs cooked low and slow ribs over coals and wood:boxing:

How about

"They are pretty darn good for oven baked".

Sort of sideways slam that should sting him in the arse but keep you in the good graces of your wife. And if he protests you can always pull out the "I'd love to argue with you about this but not on Mothers Day". "More tea Grandma?"

Have to agree with Oldyote and then tell him where the next rib competition is and tell him to enter. Oh and be sincere about it. LOL

Back