It's Home Made Pizza (Crust) Day!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Mrs ~t~ is a blind baker..... Uh, Mrs ~t~ blind bakes pizza crusts. :mrgreen: And today was the day she set-up her assembly line. When she gets in the rhythm, every 8 minutes a new crust comes out of the oven. No, these aren't all for us, some will be gifted to a neighbor. We bag and freeze them, so a pizza can be whipped up in no time at all.

PslPbjD.jpg

Now, I'm no baker.... so while she was occupied I made an all veggie pizza. Homeade pesto sauce, roasted garlic, spinach, roasted peppers, onions and tomato slices. And cooked it on the BGE. These are a 14 minute cook, raised direct at 400°.

fOgUcLq.jpg

Not fair, I havent had breakfast yet

What flower is your wife using?

I love a pesto sauce pizza. The better half has a problem with the acid content of tomato based sauces, I like both, but happy wife ...

Mamma mia pizzeria!

Raised direct on the grate or a stone? Thanks.

Directly on the grate and with the plate setter legs up gives you more control and some convection, especially if it's really cheesy.

E2EGIM1.jpg

For sure the platesetter for a loaded one like this.

rLj8Bvr.jpg

But raised over live coals makes for a little crunchier bite. My extension ring is about 4", you can see the grate is even with the rim.

FeE7GPU.jpg

I like. How does the crust measure up to the conventional?

Conventional meaning starting with fresh dough?

The blind baked crusts are light and crispy. You can not overload the toppings. I always fought the crust on fresh dough ones, most likely because we like thin crust, plus in this set-up the stone concentrates heat right at the gasket, so you can fry one if you are baking at 500°. You had to get everything just right so the dough would not be overdone.

gC41ag6.jpg

I had pretty good luck using a pizza screen.

O6PHb9W.jpg

And a thicker crust pizza was a hit or miss for me.

TqgXNGX.jpg

Pizzas are always been something I've been wanting to do on Jessica Rabbit.

Yours looks absolutely spectacular.

Thanks@~

How did you cook that NP style marg? Looks pretty impressive if it was done in a kamado.

Well if they are hot enough, a kamado cooks similar to a brick oven. Honestly, that was so long ago I don't recall all the details, but I can tell you it was 500°+ and the set up I used to use would have been a plate setter legs down, then a pizza stone with the little green feet under it.... so an air gap between the plate setter and pizza stone. Now heat comes up and around, but also bounces back from the dome. The hardest thing with thicker dough is resisting the temptation not to peek. You can look through the top vent with a light, but opening the dome too often kills the temp.

Back