Is This Normal??? Poll

I own XX number of rubs:

• Total voters

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
We're headed off for a little labor day vacation and the smoker is going with. I had to decide which rubs got to travel with. Then it turned into a little house cleaning project. Which then turned into a "oh my gosh, I think I may have a problem."

So, in order to make myself feel normal, I ask the Brethren: "Is this normal???"

Please feel free to post pictures of your stash.

2011-09-01_18-23-21_851.jpg

Starting in back:
Trim Tab Pig Powder from Chicago Q
Simply Marvelous Pecan x2
Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy
Simply Marvelous Season All
Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction
Plowboys Bovine Bold
3 Eyz Original
Rub Company Santa Maria
Dancing Pigs Original from The Bar-B-Q Shop in Memphis
Spicewine Heffer Dust
The Rub Company Competition Blend
Stubbs Chile-Lime
Mccormick Montreal Seasoning
Some stuff someone gave me in a gift basket that I haven't tried.
Homemade rub by Grabnabber
Homemade rub my brother gave me that is pretty tasty.
Homemade rub out of Gary Wivott's book.

Now down in front:
Rubbed Smoked and Sauced
Big Butz Carolina
Big Butz Chicken Dust
Big Butz Cow Pow
Big Butz Pig Pollen
Smoking Guns Hot sample I got at the Chicago Cancer Sucks class

And somehow I left out of the photo the
Bronzeville rub from The Spice House
The Slabs Birds and Bones sample.

So, what is that 25 different rubs? I probably haven't even opened 1/3 of them yet. :tsk:

I need help!
(Or to cook more...)

I say you need to cook more. :becky:

On the upside you could do some really cool 3 ways, 5 ways, heck in 25 ways, cooks. :laugh:

You can save loads of time by dumping all of those rubs into a large bowl and mixing well. Then repack into the bottles and use them indiscrimnately.

I usually have 4 or 5 homemade rubs on hand at any one time. The type varies depending on what I've been cooking.

If you count coarse black pepper as one and kosher salt as another, then I only have two. :becky:

Seriously, I assemble my rubs as I put them on the meats with no specific measurements, only by instinct. In addition to S&P, I use garlic salt, Lowery's, paprika, chipoltle pepper, and Montreal Steak Seasoning in various combinations depending on the meat.

You can save loads of time by dumping all of those rubs into a large bowl and mixing well. Then repack into the bottles and use them indiscrimnately.

Good one Bob. Thought you were serious for a minute there.

The real question is which are your favorites? :)

Whichever one I just used. :becky:

Problem is I lot to try different things, but I don't get the opportunity to cook enough meat at one time to do a 3 or 4 way throwdown with rubs. And doing more than 4 at any time makes your tummy hurt.

Maybe the question is becoming... how many of us think we can cook tasty food with only the bare minimum of seasonings?
Do we REALLY need that many jars/cans/packets of what somebody else says will make your food taste good?

Maybe the question is becoming... how many of us think we can cook tasty food with only the bare minimum of seasonings?
Do we REALLY need that many jars/cans/packets of what somebody else says will make your food taste good?

I'll tell you this. I CANNOT reproduce anything
From simply marvelous to name 1.

Can u cook tasty food without it? Yea, but it's so darn good why would I bother?

But, I'll say, I'm also on board with the S&P guys.

Why are you asking us enablers if this is normal. Of course it is. The poll should have been should I ask a neutral party if this is normal. Your wife is not neutral.

I make my own rubs and have recently started using some of the high end commercial rubs such as Simply Marvelous and Plowboys. I like mixing things up now and again and they have access to ingredients that I just don't. I really enjoy Stephs rubs from Simply Marvelous and will continue to purchase his products in the future. Just because I can make something taste good with just salt and pepper doesn't mean I cant make it taste better with a good rub. They all have there place of use and a good experienced chef makes the difference on knowing when to use what along with how to cook it. To each there own.

Here is my BBQ Shelf

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

I have a bunch of rubs but I only use about 6 or 7 of them depending on whether I'm cooking pork, beef, chicken, fish, or veggies.

Yes I do need that many. I like to try everything.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

i have 21 separate rubs. but i do have multiples of a few of my trusted standbys for a total of 26.
i don't understand the question. 4 smokers, 21 rubs & several box's(some rather large) of cooking tools & wood chips. If anything we did was normal we would have one crappy gasser, 1 metal flipper, a spray bottle of water & NOT be a part of this forum so we would have never seen the question in the first place.

P.S. a better question would have been how many do you think you have. now go and count them.
i was figuring i had maybe a dozen but i should just check. then i found out how many i really had.:shock:
umm.... maybe there is such a thing as too many. if so i hope it's more than what i have.:wink:
103_0165-A.jpg

oh, by the way, i'm really glad you did not ask how many seasonings we have. i'd need a bigger stove...:idea:

The only commercial rubs I have is SM Cherry and Plowboys Yardbird.

I make my own rubs to suit my taste at the time of cook or a certain flavor profile I'm tiring to achieve.

My spice cabinet is loaded with several powered chiles from all over the world including 2 oz of my home smoked green jalapenos, several homemade curry powders, three different types of cinnamon, and way more other spices and herbs than I want to list.

That's why I like to make my own rubs. I have complete control of the mix.

Back