Is this a good deal?

tasterner

is one Smokin' Farker
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/hsh/2494074793.html

Charcoal smoker grill - $50 (Harrisburg)

Date: 2011-07-14, 1:57PM EDT
Reply to: sale-pdb8u-2494074793@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Nice Charcoal Smoker Grill We don't need! Has 2 areas. Very nice grill.
This is a New Braunfels Smoker Company.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3k73od3l75Y05P25X4b7e99792a14cbc91877.jpg

No I don't think so looks like a cheapo and probably wouldn't hold heat well

Thanks guys. Should all NB smokers be avoided, or just this particular model? When I did a forum search of them, it sounded as though people liked them.

There are a number of NB branded grills out there and you just need to understand what you are looking at. I just paid around $150 for one in our area but it was an old Oklahoma Joe model that was sturdy and reasonably durable 1/8" steel. Much better overall quality than buying a new Chargriller or something. Really depends on what you are looking for. Depending on the condition and model that could be a great find.

That's just it, I don't know anything about them, or what to look for in them. Seemed most here said to avoid, but now I'm getting mixed signals. Don't need it, just thought I could add cheaply to my new hobby if it was a good deal.

If you want to play w an offset and it's in good shape I would go for it.

Go look at it and see what gauge steel it is made with. I used a small ruler I use when setting up my guitars. Check to see what condition it's in. If there is a lot of rust you will have some clean up work ahead of you. Will you need to buy new grates. Check the fit and finish. Does it feel cheap,wobbly, Etc.

The smoker I bought was in good shape and just needed someone to care for it. Its a fun project and I can mod the heck out of it for way less than I was going to spend on a wsm. If course someone will chime in with a UDS comment here.... But same idea.

Go for it. Here is a my old NB Hondo. My "go to" for bigs smokes...

001.jpg

Let me know if you get it. I've can e-mail a copy of the original manual if you want it.

If it's in good shape it's definitely worth $50. My Son's FIL has one & with mods it cooks pretty good. Mostly the baffle mod. Without it the temp from the firebox end to the chimney end varies a lot. The thing is pretty heavy too. We put wheels on the firebox end which makes it a lot easier to maneuver. One thing to remember. Off-sets generally need a lot of attention unless you use a temp controller of some sort. Cheers!!!

Yeah, I thought it would be something fun to play with, but I don't want a pos either. I sent an email to see if they were firm on the price, so we'll see...

Back