Is there still a niche for simple BBQ in the food business?

I did a short rampage through Central TX BBQ joints recently and most of the places kept it really simple, and they were thriving. Most of the places I like have a real simple menu. In fact, if I see too much stuff on the menu I get suspicious of a place and start to wonder how many cans they're opening back in the kitchen.

Absolutly correct about the can or from the freezer. I run a meat and three every day and people cannot get enough of the homemade mac and cheese, pulled pork, peach cobbler, ect. It's not that we are great cooks, which we are :razz:, it is that the food is fresh and homemade. Many places lose their identity trying to keep every one happy. Find what you do best and sell the hell out of it.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Killens has tilted the epicenter of Texas BBQ. And this is a guy who has lauded Lockhart for years. Simple BBQ .... but... his sides are growing.

Two things

1) if you add more than one item add another person to the pay roll! You will need it or your wait time will be long....

2) Just a thought but if you have room for a meat case with glass maybe you could show and sell ribs brisket (Uncooked) if they don't sell in day 1/2 pull for use in restaurant. Sell Rubs ect to go with them and a few tips....

Hey BB, the best BBQ I've found locally is Bodacious BBQ on Barksdale Blvd. about a mile or two up from the Jimmy Davis bridge. Their menu is not small but it's not big either. Growing up here as a kid there used to be one called Pioneer BBQ which could not keep enough BBQ for their business but they are long gone.

I'd like to try your Friends BBQ. What's the name of his place?

"Real BBQ & More" on Line Ave. It's a bit in the hood but pretty good Q.

Two things

1) if you add more than one item add another person to the pay roll! You will need it or your wait time will be long....

2) Just a thought but if you have room for a meat case with glass maybe you could show and sell ribs brisket (Uncooked) if they don't sell in day 1/2 pull for use in restaurant. Sell Rubs ect to go with them and a few tips....

1) I've gotta disagree about adding another person when adding another item. My cook preps all of my salads, and runs the fryer. Last week I added onion rings and sweet potato fries with absolutely no issue. Having competent help is key. Many restaurants, bbq or not turn out hundreds of orders a night with a staff of 4 in the kitchen.

2) In ny at least, idk about other states, but unless you're inspected by the dept of ag and markets, you can't sell raw product as a restaurant. That's definitely an ask the health dept question.

Back