Is there an Aaron Franklin of pulled pork?

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Viet King Cong
I was somewhere in southwestern Alabama and stopped at a gas station for the usual stuff on the way back from Destin. In the parking lot a guy had a sign next to a rusty Lang trailer: "Help me feed my family by feeding yours. "

I know it's tough times so I bought a pulled pork plate and Mac n cheese for the kids. The pork was better than decent. Or maybe I had low expectations. But whatever it was, I now have a Boston butt in my fridge for my 7th or 8th attempt at pulled pork.

Is there a holy grail to pulled pork?
990cb1c9e5482547c376e80b7c32d5f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Deleted.

Wrong answer to right question

Last edited:
Don't really know if there is or not. But if there is, I'd venture to say they are in the Carolina's or Georgia.

Rodney Scott?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

this was who first came to mind. or maybe Sam Jones? (the guy from skylight inn)

it wouldn't really be the king of pulled pork but the king of whole hog, a tradition that predates any brisket cook

You might check out Big Bob Gibson's in Huntsville, Alabama. Their competition team has won Memphis in May multiple times with pork shoulder and at least once won the American Royal.

Robert

I have never been excited to be around pulled pork. Usually pretty bland on its own.
The least amount of skill or equipment needed to produce it.
Just so-so ville.
Ed

I live where the original Scott's is located. I taught and coached Rodney's son in high school football. Around here his family is probably what most people would look at. He gets all the publicity, but he pretty much took up his family's recipe and ran with it on a "national" scale. His son is running the original business now. He has his own restaurant in Charleston and Birmingham and in the next couple of months will have one opening in Atlanta. The Charleston restaurant is good, but you will have to add extra sauce to get the true original Scott's taste. He told us the people of Charleston aren't used to it the way people back home are so he had to scale it back a little bit. It is excellent BBQ.

I have never been excited to be around pulled pork. Usually pretty bland on its own.
The least amount of skill or equipment needed to produce it.
Just so-so ville.
Ed
This is my current sentiment on pulled or chopped pork. Really anything pork outside of pork neck (kbbq), sausage, and bacon.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I really like North Carolina BBQ because they all seem to serve hush puppies which is about at the top of my guilty pleasures list. I have been to Lexington and it was good. Really nice people. Honestly I prefer eastern more. Just by a little though. My favorite was B’s in Greenville. But if there is an Aaron Franklin of Pork he is most likely found somewhere in the Carolinas.

If you think pulled pork is bland need to try some with good sauce. Most people in the carolinas don't actually make what they consider "pulled pork." Here we make barbecue and it is amazing. Pulled pork by itself with no sauce would lead me to understand your thoughts, but barbecue oh that's another story.

Back