Is it wise to put a brisket fat side up on WSM

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I was having a discussion on briskets with someone I know that owns a bbq trailer and has done many bbq contests and won some awards and such. He always puts his fat side up. Now I'm using a WSM and remember when I tried fat side up on my old drum smoker I made I thought it was more tender but dryer tasting on the bark or what was left of it after the seasoning fell off and grill marks.

So I haven't tried it since I've had my WSM for about 2 years. I'm not convinced the fat renders so much it goes into the meat that deep and also if I was interested doing a single spritz near the end what good if any would that do spraying the fat? Then again last brisket I made was one of my best - fat side down, no injections...simple pour of Allegro and a bbq rub of salt and pepper with some cayenne and something else in it I buy (Salt Lick).

Also on the subject he makes burnt ends like myself and told him after I wrap the flat in butcher paper and rest it in a cooler I had trouble sometimes with the point falling apart trying to cube it. He puts it in a fridge at home and if in a comp has a little portable one. This he says firms it up a little then cubs it, bbq sauce in a pan then when finished after a couple hours (seems much) then more bbq sauce.

He also slices his briskets fat side up....never occurred to me to try that. Much difference for those that do?

He also uses mustard for slather. No on this one for me. I think it creates too much of a burnt taste and think it's harder for the rub to penetrate the meat. So I stopped using mustard or oil for those reasons.

Thoughts on any of this? Thanks.

Million opinions on this one. To qualify I don't use a WSM. Usually use reverse flow offset when I cook brisket (Annual company competiton). I do fat down. Slice fat down with electric knife. I also stopped using mustard. I also inject

The general procedure is to put the fat cap towards the heat source. On a WSM, that would be down. It insulates the flat from the direct heat and helps keep it from drying out.

On my WSM I start fat cap down. When I wrap with butcher paper, then I flip to fat up. The fat basted the flat in the butcher paper and it’s really good. If I am going nekkid the whole time, then the fat cap down.

I think you'll find it doesn't make an appreciable difference. The melting fat isn't what makes the meat juicy, it is the collagens breaking down (from what I understand). But by all means try it as you figure out what works best for YOU.

I do most of my cooks on a UDS- I "religiously" go fat side down. But lately that other fella on my shoulder whispers that he wants me to go rogue. Yep - fat side up... and don't wrap.

Whenever I've taken his advice, it sometimes turns out to be a disaster- other times it's so good it hurts.

I'm weakening.

Fat side up - I don't believe for a minute that the fat will circulate through the meat as it cooks. It's muscle tissue...not very permeable.

Fat side to the heat - shields the meat from the direct heat and the way to go.

I go fat down regardless of heat source and fat up when wrapped in bp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I usually always do fat side down on my WSM. My last cook fat side down was by far my favorite ever. That being said my last cook I got distracted and put it on fat side up on the WSM, exactly the same as my favorite cook. What I'm saying is a good brisket and the WSM are pretty forgiving partners. I think managing your fire/smoke, know when or if you're going to wrap and how you hold are bigger factors than fat side up/down.

I go against the majority here and go fat side up regardless of heat source. I’ve also found flipping them mid-cook destroys the delicious fat that is rendering. I don’t buy into the shielding the meat at all. The meat on a brisket is pretty damn forgiving but the fat is not.

I've never used a WSM, but in my traditional offset smoker I assume the heat comes up from the bottom because the top side of the firebox opens into the bottom side of the cook chamber.

Nonetheless, I always learned to cook a brisket fat side up. If you trim the fat properly and to a proper thickness I do believe some of the fat renders and self-bastes the meat. But then again, I also learned to smoke briskets without using the "Texas crutch" and therefore never wrap.

Fat Cap don’t render much, doesn’t render thru the meat. Try it both ways and see but I never saw anything benefit to fat side up. I don’t eat the Fat. Cooking Hot , Fat cap down in a vertical I’ve had the fat cap come out Hard so I thinking it was Helping as a Heat Shield.

I've never used a WSM, but in my traditional offset smoker I assume the heat comes up from the bottom because the top side of the firebox opens into the bottom side of the cook chamber.

Nonetheless, I always learned to cook a brisket fat side up. If you trim the fat properly and to a proper thickness I do believe some of the fat renders and self-bastes the meat. But then again, I also learned to smoke briskets without using the "Texas crutch" and therefore never wrap.

I too had always assumed that on a traditional offset smoker that it was hotter on the bottom side for the reason you stated. However, thermometers indicate the opposite. The two thermometers mounted in both ends of the top of my Lyfetyme offset register ~ 50 degrees hotter than a thermoworks DOT I mount at grate level, which indicates that it is hotter on the top side. Really surprised me.

Butts and briskets run fat cap DOWN in my kamados, WSM and offset.

The only time I've run them UP is in the kettle using a slow'n'sear....and I think next time I"ll go DOWN (heavily trimmed) using that, too.

Ideally the brisket and butts that I bring to the table have minimal fat left on them. I detest being served slices of brisket with thick sections of fat and I refuse to eat pulled pork with the fat pieces left in it.

Damn shame, Dub. I love the flavor from the fat on both cuts. I disliked the brisket that I get that are heavily trimmed.

Back