Is it a Smoker or a Grill

Big Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
The answer is yes.

Decided to test the Yoder out as a grill so I picked me up a ribeye and seasoned it with a bit of Head Country All Purpose Rub (I love this stuff on a steak).

I got a set of Grill Grates when I bought the cooker so I put those in and fired up the cooker. I set it for 450 because I heard the Grill Grates would still get nice and hot compared to the cooker set temp. However, after it was heating up, I realized I had forgotten to take out the heat diffuser plate. So, I figured I would just let the steak cook a bit longer than I normally do. Well, I ended up slightly overcooking the steak. The Grill Grates worked very well even with the diffuser plate left in.

So, I had a bit of a learning experience but that is ok, the steak was still nice and juicy and very tasty.

I guess you ate all your Veggies before the Steak pic?
That way you can showcase the AWESOME looking steak!
Sell the SIZZLE (grate lines) NOT the steak!
(Although Ill take a little sizzle, a little steak, and some tatoes...)
Really good cook!

I grill a lot on my YS640 w/grill grates and love it!
Remember that the probe in the back left corner is "calibrated" to the center of the chamber, not the temp right there.

I leave the diffuser plate installed and the slide full in.
At a set temp of about 350-375, my grill grates are in the mid to upper 500's as measured with my IR therm.
Perfect grill temp for me!!!

Keep on cooking and you will find all kinds on magical things about the YS640. 8)

TIM

I'm sure that steak was still juicy....at least it looks like it. :hungry:

The only thing i don't like about sear grates (or from what I've seen so far) is that it doesn't do an all over sear, it's only on the grate part. Lines look nice but the caramelization is where the flavor is so I want it all over! :-D

I could actually turn the Grill Grates over and cook it on the flat side which would get me that "all over" sear effect.

I grill a lot on my YS640 w/grill grates and love it!
Remember that the probe in the back left corner is "calibrated" to the center of the chamber, not the temp right there.

I leave the diffuser plate installed and the slide full in.
At a set temp of about 350-375, my grill grates are in the mid to upper 500's as measured with my IR therm.
Perfect grill temp for me!!!

Keep on cooking and you will find all kinds on magical things about the YS640. 8)

TIM

Quick grilling question. Should I bring the temp up in steps. When I turned it on, I set the temp at 450 and the cooker had a nice fire going to get itself up to temp. I had a lot of black smoke pouring out of the cooker. Is that just because it is new or is it because of the amount of pellets it was burning to get up to temp. I know there is a lot of black soot on the underside of the diffuser and lid and walls of the cooker because of it.

I could actually turn the Grill Grates over and cook it on the flat side which would get me that "all over" sear effect.

Do your grill grates actually fit with the flat side up? On my 640 the bottom of the thermocouple mount stops the left side grill grate from fitting properly.

Quick grilling question. Should I bring the temp up in steps. When I turned it on, I set the temp at 450 and the cooker had a nice fire going to get itself up to temp. I had a lot of black smoke pouring out of the cooker. Is that just because it is new or is it because of the amount of pellets it was burning to get up to temp. I know there is a lot of black soot on the underside of the diffuser and lid and walls of the cooker because of it.

I just set the temp I want. I have not had any black smoke. I will get some white smoke at times during heat up if i didn't clean out the burn grate from the previous cook.

Very nice. And the beef eats the vegetables to make better tasting beef, so ergo, the beef contains vegetables.

Very nice. And the beef eats the vegetables to make better tasting beef, so ergo, the beef contains vegetables.

What is this nonsense? Beef is grass, that's not vegetables. You want vegetables, you want a pig. Pigs eat all sorts of things. So steak, sure, whatever. Steak wrapped in bacon, now you've got a complete meal.

:biggrin1:

Back