THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True. I always tie up the boneless ones with some cooking twine. No big deal.

I have done 1 bone in, and 2 boneless (did 2 at once), if I do a boneless again I agree it will get tied up to avoid ovecooking the thinner parts of where the bone exploded out of the Butt ALIEN style :). You would think getting some rub into the bone explosion site would help flavor the butt but if it did I could not tell.

I cooked 5 boneless cryos (10 butts) from Costco a couple of years ago. Their price was about a nickel a pound less than the local Hy-Vee and out of ten butts I only had about 5 pounds of trim. The yield was about 60% or better - more $$$ for me :-D.

I'm about to find out with BBQ.
Got a big butt to do, first one ever with bone in.
It was $1 per kilo cheaper than bone out, so that makes it a little more expensive overall.
In all other methods I prefer bone in but am unsure with BBQ because the long smoke process is so different and unique.
Looking forward to it!

Yesterday i was at Costco so i asked the butcher if i called in and asked them to leave the bone in would they do it. He said yes we would, just call us. This is good news.

You should also ask for a better price since they don't have to remove the bone.

I like the bone in for one simple reason. I don't have to tie them up.

I also have gotten in with the meat manager at my local Meijer. I can get a case of butts for super cheap. The last time I bought they had Country Style ribs on sale for $1.29 so that was the price he gave me for 80pounds.

I honestly think that bone in butts cook up better and agree that the meat around the bone is my favorite and I just don't get the same flavor off of the boneless ones.

The boneless is the same as the bone-in, less the bone of course and the boneless is trimmed of the fat more closely. I really do not think trimming the fat is a downside, have done it many times to get better rub, smoke, and bark into it and find the butt has more than enough fat to keep it moist and full of flavor.

I do not mind cooking with bone-in most of the time but if cooking it with a rotisserie go for a boneless, you can have the butcher tie it up for you if not already tied.

There is something satisfying about that moment the bone slips out effortlessly and clean.
Dave

There are many sources that say bone in any thing tastes better, doing blind sampling, cutting off the bone after cooking and still more folks will say the bone in has a better taste, but saving money is really nice too!

Costco's trims the bone out, what the Fiat guess it gives the butchers something to do. I prefer bone in butts over out, I mean you can always cut out the bone it's not hard, next time I need some butts I'll call costco's and see what the butcher says THx:thumb:

Back