Iowa Ham

yoursangoma

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Brett
My wife keeps talking about the ham she had growing up on a farm in Iowa. They would get a ham from a local farmer and it would taste like ham, but she says it looked like pulled pork, as far as the texture of it was concerned. Anyone have any idea what she might be talking about? I would like to cook her one if I can figure out what it is. She says she hasn't had one forever.

TIA!

Back in the late 50's and 60's BBQ in the south and probably other places was uncured or green hams cooked low and slow at least overnight on an open pit and then pulled . That is probably what she remembers, because I do too. Back then nobody knew what a boston butt was. It was either pulled ham or whole hog BBQ.

It was raw, uncured ham. Never had it myself but I think out Wouod be interesting to try.

Brett,
Ask her if the meat was pink like ham, or brown like a pork roast.

If it was the color of ham and had the texture of pulled pork, I would guess it was a cured shoulder that was cooked to tenderness then pulled. I do this on occasion with cured pork butts for pulled ham sandwiches, just for something different. It's actually pretty good on an onion roll with a slice of sharp cheddar.

Brett,

If it was the color of ham and had the texture of pulled pork, I would guess it was a cured shoulder that was cooked to tenderness then pulled. I do this on occasion with cured pork butts for pulled ham sandwiches, just for something different. It's actually pretty good on an onion roll with a slice of sharp cheddar.

Wait, what? Pulled ham sounds amazing. How hard is it to do that cure?

Everyone thinks a ham is cured. It is not. A ham is the hindquarter of a hog. A green ham is not cured. It is a cut of meat.
Correct, although the label should read Un cooked or Cooked. Smoked would be
OK to eat out of that packaging.

And then the people need to read the labels, and they DON'T.

Then blame someone else.

If you buy one of the big ones at Walmart.....Smithfield I think and put it in a church roaster with a little water you will get that texture on some of it. We used to do them for fundraisers and they are fantastic. I imagine you could do something similar in the smoker by smoking in a pan for a while, then adding water and wrapping, effectively steam/braising it.

Ed

Brett,

Yes, it was pink. So I just need to find a shoulder and cure it and cook to pulling temp?

When I get a fresh raw pork hind leg I'll cure it for 10 days and then cook in my smoker just like a pork butt.

i-G3skcjf-XL.jpg

Back