THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i dunno man. I'm sure you payed way too much money for it to fit like that. but thats just my opinion.. maybe you got a defective one .. :noidea:

Surprised you haven't heard from the folks at BBQ Guru, they have always been very prompt when I have needed answers. I just got 2 WSM adapters today in the mail. The adapter does look different then yours, it has 4 round holes inside the adapter for airflow and no recessed edge. It fits on my 22 correctly, no air gaps. My neighbor has an adapter similar to yours, on his 18" wsm, it fits both the 18 and 22 in models correctly. Is it possible the screw inside the adapter is not tight, causing it to have some play side to side, creating the gap when the 2 halves of the adapter are drawn together when tightened?

Hope it gets resolved.

ML

Great job on the video! The adapter should definitely should fit better than that. I have the same unit on my 18.5 WSM and as Swamprb's photos show, there should not be any gaps like you have. Hope BBQGuru resolves to your satisfaction...

Last edited:
Thats pretty much how mine fit, I taped the outside as you did but I left the inside alone and it almost sealed itself with all the build up inside the chamber, the adapter does fit much better on the 22 but still not perfect.

You might have had the guru cylinder off center of the vent hole. I have rethought my original idea and realized that the adapter will fit flush in the right position. Eye down the center of the adapter and make sure it is on center (concentric) with the vent hole. Once you have it centered, hold it still on the outside, while you tighten the screw.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the screw. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I farked with it a bit and the video shows what my feeble mind finally decided to do. I'll wait a bit longer for a response from BBQ Guru before I try to contact them again. I used the email address on their website for tech support and sent a detailed description of what happened along with a link to the video. The installation may not be pretty but it is working as we speak :)

Watching this closely. I've got a nanoQ that I've been sitting on for months...it was intended for a project with my Smoker Joe (mini WSM/tamale steamer mod), but had hoped to possibly use it the 18 and the 22's.

I sure hope you can get a resolution. I'm shocked that it seems that you are the first to "discover" this issue. The 18's and gurus (and their adapters) have been around for some time.

Good luck bro!!

You might have had the guru cylinder off center of the vent hole. I have rethought my original idea and realized that the adapter will fit flush in the right position. Eye down the center of the adapter and make sure it is on center (concentric) with the vent hole. Once you have it centered, hold it still on the outside, while you tighten the screw.

I know I did originally. I went back to the video to look. However, when I made the adjustment shown later in the video, I had it fairly centered because it made the most flush fit on the outside. The adapter still hung over the edge of my air vent which is why I used some small strips of tape on the outside. The center bump on the air vent kept me from moving the adapter all the way onto the silver colored vent. I will probably take it back off and examine this again...

Ok, forget centered. It cannot be pushed up by the center bump. (the rivet) you should be able to find a spot where it lies perfectly flush by moving it around. It must cover the vent hole completely, though. Mine fits like a glove.

DSC_0036.JPG

where did you get the piugs for the intake holes?

Nice job on the video.

I never had any issues setting up the WSM adapter on the 18" or 22" bullets.

Lose the tape and go with stainless plugs instead. The look is cleaner, tighter and are easier to R&R than tape.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Here is my po' boy gooroo!

IMG_0085.jpg

Back