Injection Advice

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Guys,
I'm new to the site. I'm certain there have been many threads about injecting, but I don't know how to search.

I do not currently inject meat before smoking, but I know I need to learn more about it.

Any help on how I can find previous threads or on where to go to learn more about injecting, equipment, recipes for injection fluids?
Many thanks!

Welcome to the Brethren.

For home cooking, I believe more of us do not inject than do. I don't.

If you go down to the bottom of this page you will see a site specific Google search.

I always inject butts and brisket even at home, I just use a different injection than I use at comps.
I use a syringe made for large animals, with a size 14 needle. Available at any vet supply store and at various online bbq supply stores.

I have been injecting. I use the cajun injector off Amazon. Built like a tank, around $20.00 For Brisket, I use beef stock, low sodium, with a little Worcestershire and soy sauce, as well as some of my rub (no sugar for Brisket), and some Accent. Don't use bullion, use a good homemade, or Kitchen Basics stock. For pork I use Chris Lilly's pork injection, which is apple juice, water, sugar, salt and Worcestershire. I haven't injected any poultry yet, but I wish I had injected my Chicken last night, because it came out a little dry (it was a 9 pounder, so maybe it was just an old chicken.

If I inject at all it is all natural and I stay away from the nitrates and stuff that is popular on the competition circuit. Sometimes I save brisket drippings and freeze them, then use that with a little water and maybe a little rub to inject the next one. It's just a good NATURAL brisket flavor and will do the trick for adding moisture and flavor. For pork butts I use a solution of equal parts of apple juice / water / vinegar with a little rub. The moisture and flavor of the pork is awesome and the vinegar is a natural tenderizing agent.:wink:

Back