Infrared grill and wind?

Axelorox

Found some matches.
I'm in the market for a new gas grill since I'm switching from propane to natural gas (and the switch on my current gasser wouldn't be easy).

I'm interested in infrared grills but am wondering how they do in windy conditions, as my grilling area is out in the open on the deck.

I've read the Char-Broil infrared grills are especially bad with wind. Are there any other infrared grills that are recommended and can stand up to wind? I've heard Saber may be better for this but I'm not sure about their longevity overall.

Well this is just my .02 from owning about 10 gassers over 40 years for what it's worth.

1. Just about anything will outlast a Char-Broil gasser or anything else you might see walking in the big box stores. They are pretty and shinny and may work well of a year or two. Then it starts. A new part here, a new part there and you back up to what you paid for it in the first place.

2. After many years of raising a family and fighting various gassers along the way, I finally learned to Buy Once, Cry Once. For me that meant Weber. I'm on my 13th year with this rig. Don't get me wrong, you will have to buy some parts along the way but it's worth it.

My humble old rig. It keeps on giving:

YX1OlQn.jpg

3. You say you want to convert to Nat Gas. That will require new orifices in each burner and a different regulator. Nothing wrong with that but I would make two recommendations here.
A) Order it converted to Nat Gas new.
B) Be prepared to cook longer as the heat output of Nat Gas is not as high as propane per BTU. One cubic foot of propane = 2,516 BTU's. One cubic foot of Nat Gas = 1,030 BTU's. While the cost for Nat Gas is cheaper, you'll use more of it to heat the same grill. In other words, you'll use twice the Nat Gas to get the same result with propane.

Hope this helps.

Saber is made/owned by Char Broil. They have a great warranty. My firebox rusted out, they replaced it no questions asked after I sent them a few photos. Only bad part is I have to take the grill apart and put it back together again. :noidea:

Be prepared to cook longer as the heat output of Nat Gas is not as high as propane per BTU. One cubic foot of propane = 2,516 BTU's. One cubic foot of Nat Gas = 1,030 BTU's. While the cost for Nat Gas is cheaper, you'll use more of it to heat the same grill. In other words, you'll use twice the Nat Gas to get the same result with propane.

Hope this helps.
Curious about this "the cooking longer process" Seems to me the cook times would be roughly equal as the orifices on natural gas and propane are two different sizes. The natural gas orifice is larger than the propane orifice to compensate for the difference in BTU output.
My thoughts are you may use more natural gas but because it's being delivered at a higher rate than propane the heat output should be roughly the same.
The last natural gas conversion I did required changing the orifice, the natural gas orifice opening; although extremely small is about twice the size of propane.

Back