Info about KCBS Judging Classes Needed

upnorth

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Greetings, friends, and thank you for accepting me into your family. We are interested in attending a judging class and wondered if anyone else has done so. I have looked on the KCBS site but can't find a place that lists fees for such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the link. I checked it out but it doesn't show costs for a class. Does anyone know how much they charge to take a judging class?

Prices can vary, so you will need to go to the website listed for the class you're interested in taking. If you're a KCBS member, it's usually less expensive than if you're not.

Looks like there is one in Birch Run in August that goes along with the competition that weekend (BBQ Boogie and Blues). I would just email the organizer listed for the class itself and see what their fee is and the schedule.

Certified BBQ Judging Class
Birch Run, MI
Date: August 20, 2015
Instructor: BUNNY TUTTLE

Contact Information:
Mike Szukhent
mike@birchrun.org

We are interested in attending the class at Birch Run. I will drop a note to the contact listed above to get more info. I think it would be a good experience. I appreciate all of the answers!

I think that you will enjoy the Certified Barbecue Judge (CBJ) class.
I took it over 6 years ago and have been having a GREAT time judging ever since!
Have fun and good luck!

As Gowan noted above, the class price varies. KCBS does suggest a amount, but the final figure is up to the class coordinator/promoter.

Greatest reason for differing prices is the cost of putting on the class, ie facilities costs (rentals, etc), food costs and others. Contrary to what many think, the class is not meant to be a fundraiser.

Part of the fee is membership as well I believe. Membership does have it privileges too. There is the restaurant depot membership. Then there are the hotel discounts. A bunch of perks if you use them. I think I remember $65 or $85 dollars and that covered the instructors, the meat for sampling and the KCBS membership.

Most will be around 50 bucks for KCBS members or 85 and includes a 1 year KCBS membership, since you need to be a member to judge comps.

Back