In the Market for a New Smoker...Need Advice

gmag

Full Fledged Farker
I am in the market for a new smoker and I was hoping to get some input from the Brethren.

I live in Minnesota so having the ability to cook in sometimes below zero conditions is important. Price is always a concern but not a deciding factor. I want ease of use. Space is also important...I need to be able to cook a turkey, ham and some sides all together occasionally. Also, I am not a competitor.

All that being said, here are the options I am down to:

1. Yoder YS640 (I would buy the thermal jacket for it)
2. Backwoods Party
3. Gravity Fed Pit (Stumps/Assassin/Mixon)
4. Gateway Drum

For those who would suggest it, I am not interested in Humphreys.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I know its not on your list, but given the winter temp, the ceramics are a good choice. I have the Primo xl, but I believe all the ceramic kamados are a great option. You can stack the grates to get the extra food on with no problem. I can also tell you that out of all the grills/smokers I have had the xl is by far the easiest to use. It literally is a "set it and forget it" way to cook. Good luck!!

I'd suggest a drum smoker....either Gateway (they look solid) or build one yourself. I'm NOT very handy and I made my drum relatively quickly and with minimal technical skills. Drums can cook a ton of food at once, and they work in very cold temps. I was smoking ribs last year when the outside temp was 2 F. My neighbors thought I was nuts.....

You have listed 4 different smoker types, so hard to compare them to pick one. You said no Humphey's but have a Backwoods listed. Guess we will leave it at that :sad: Even a WSM cooks well in MN winter, as long as you are out of the wind.

Right now, the Yoder has my eye. Best of luck in your search.

I know its not on your list, but given the winter temp, the ceramics are a good choice. I have the Primo xl, but I believe all the ceramic kamados are a great option. You can stack the grates to get the extra food on with no problem. I can also tell you that out of all the grills/smokers I have had the xl is by far the easiest to use. It literally is a "set it and forget it" way to cook. Good luck!!

I agree with the ceramics comment. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic Joe.

Just a few thoughts:
1. You will probably find the Backwoods Party has less capacity than it seems unless you get the extended version. A good cooker for sure. However, I had the regular Party but gave it up due to lack of capacity. More work than the Assassin.
2. I currently own both the Assassin 24 and the Assassin 28. Quite frankly, unless you need to feed large groups, the 24 is a perfect cooker. Burns less fuel than the 28 yet has capacity for larger cooks or a variety of meats. It is almost a set it and forget it cooker.
3. I have also owned a Primo XL (still own a Junior). It is a great combo grill/smoking cooker. However, I still prefer the Assassin for smoking.

If I had to choose between the Party and the Assassin 24, I would go with the Assassin hands down. Can't speak to the other models you mention.

Out of that list I'd go with the assassin, but I'd take a hard look at a Deep South first. They're big and heavy but all the issues I had with my superior (same builder and basic design of the assassin) I don't have at all with the deep south.

Assassin are great. I dont think you will like the space on the YS640. May look at the 1500 if you want a set and forget with a lot of room. Make room in budget for a BBQ guru for the gravity feed or upright smoker. Not mandatory but makes it easier. I have seen the Myron gravity feed and they are very nice but I still like the Assassin. May look at the pitmaker safe. I have the Vault and it is built like a tank but has a ton of room. Best of luck

Paying attention to the original post, I would go with the BWS Party, but I would make sure it is the G2 Party with the 2" insulation option. Secondly I'd go with Stump's, but they are not cheap. I don't know your price range, but I have a buddy who has the Classic, but it is big, and pricey. I think it holds 10 or 12 briskets. He loves it. Wind and cold won't effect these too much.

All are good cookers. I sold my assassin to make way for 2 more Gateways. They are easy to move, easy to manage, cook top notch food and perform in the elements. My two cents, but I'm biased.

First I'd ask yourself Do I want to cook direct or indirect because you listed cookers that do one or the other except for the drum. If you want direct and indirect then only the drum cooker can do that from your choices.

If you get a drum then look at Big Poppa because they can move from smoke to grill/sear easily with their basket setup, I like reverse sear type cooks. Plus it's nice to indirect cook or just grill from the basket being at the high position with it.

Now the way I see it is you are planning on spending X amount of dollars, There is NO need to only do one type of cooker...which is why I say.

1) Cover your drum pic with something like the BP- Inexpensive
2) Do your insulated cooker from the other 3 options.

Boom... you have everything you want

Last edited:
Ease of use, small footprint, large capacity, cold weather cooking, no concerns about moving it around.... sounds like you want an insulated cabinet. From your choices, BWS may be the best fit.

The GF cookers are sweet too. Just different. Go with what gets your covet-o-meter pumping and make room for the next toy. They all cook great. Up to you to learn it and maximize.

Back