in need of a new smoker

so buy a few Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal Black Smoker and do one type of meat on each?

When we exclusively used WSMs, we started with two and timed our meats to get it all cooked. It's doable but a little tricky. When we went to three it was much easier. We now use a Backwoods Extended Party for brisket, pork and ribs, and cook chicken on an 18" WSM.

If you do go the WSM route, I suggest at least one 22.5" model. The 18" is fine for chicken, pork and brisket (and in some way preferable), but I find the extra real estate on the 22.5" really helpful for ribs.

As noted above, your best bet is to go to a local competition and ask teams about their setup. As long as you do it on a Friday night, people tend to be very talkative and helpful.

Whatever equipment you decide to go with, I'd strongly suggest buying pre-owned. Many comp guys are constantly changing out their smokers in the search for something that they like better, and you can typically save 25-60% off the cost of new.

Keep an eye on Craigs List, the various "for sale" sections of BBQ forums and just ask when you're at a contest. If you see a smoker you like, ask the owner if he would be interested in selling or know anyone else who might me. You'd be surprised how many leads you get this way.

Lots of good advice here.

We use 2 wsms in comps. A 22 and an 18. We do brisket and chicken on the 22, and pork and ribs on the 18. Used to use 3 18's, but this takes less space. The 22 was bought used (and nicely tricked out!), and the 18 is over 20 years old!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Local Brethren Starter offer to you

Not sure if you have any interest, but I was contemplating this today. I do have a brand new UDS smoker I would be willing to part with. I put a lot of time and care into making this one, "The Hulk". It was a clean drum, sandblasted, 2 coats of high heat primer, 2 coats of green and black paint, matching steel exhaust, 3 Weber hinged racks, brass ball valve intake control, and a custom charcoal basket that holds 15 lbs of charcoal. I haven't even broken it in yet...probably because it was around the same time my new Backwoods Extended Party showed up. $210 firm and it's yours. It's roughly 1/2 the price of a new 22.5" WSM.

View attachment 69185

Last edited:
210? thats a steal!..and I can vouch for Dans craftsmanship. He has built several mods for me so Id expect nothing
less than perfect on that UDS

Back