Impressive expert Tricks

Maybe that is why I have been reading this thread with such anticipation, the rest of us do... Sorry, this coming after three bad cooks in a row. I almost cried at dinner last night.

I believe techniques not tricks are what makes the difference. We all have certain "tricks" we can use to cover up our mistakes to some degree.

But it's technique(s) that eventually makes us all better.

Don't sweat three bad cooks in a row. Just think back to what you were doing before the bad streak and change how you are doing things.

If I have to grill a beef rack what temperature and which grilling method on my Weber Genesis would you suggest me in order to get a crunchy surface?

A beef rack? Do you mean beef ribs? 225 degrees 6-8 hours depending on how much meat is on he ribs.

Or do you mean a rib roast?

Geebus, Ron. A beef rack is clearly from the Moink family. Sheesh...can't believe you missed that one.

Thirdeye covered all the true basics. My only "trick" on a steak is a liberal brushing of olive oil to help it form a really nice crust. My logic is the oil burns off, but before it does it causes the internal moisture trying to burst out to crust up like a fried chicken skin sealing the meat.

That one,... and that's the one I have the most trouble with.

I dont ever have that problem, amazingly all my friends like medium rare to rare. Well, if I am the farking cook, you are getting what I want to cook, plus I hate over cooked steaks..... Seriously that is the hardest, well not the hardest, but the most tedious.

I have though, had a friend that likes his meat well done, and I mean well done. Hamburgers are hockey pucks to him, so I did cook when he was over and served eveyone else and left his steak on the grill. Everyone else was served a plate with their steak, and then sides came around.... When he finally realized he had no meat, I told him to go check his, it was still cooking. I completely thought it would be uneditable, NOPE he liked it.

A beef rack? Do you mean beef ribs? 225 degrees 6-8 hours depending on how much meat is on he ribs.

Or do you mean a rib roast?

Sorry I meant rib steak with about 2 centimeters of height. How would you all suggest me to cook it on my weber? Direct, indirect and which temperature?

Hey Chris,

For those that might not be familiar with it, I think now would be a good time for the lowdown on the Finney Method.

The REVERSE SEAR (aka Finney Method)
1. Thaw meat (if frozen). If meat is refrigerated, remove from fridge when you go out to light grill.
2. Pre-heat your grill to 200* and let stabilize. You can go as high as 250*. Higher really, but you guys are wanting a low internal finish temp. so the lower the better. Also, a lower cooking temp will get you a smaller rise in internal temp from carryover heat.
3. Insert meat probe into meat and place on the grill. Go as indirect as you can with your cooker. You want gentle heat. A ceramic cooker is better for that than an oven. (because an oven cycles on and off to keep temps within a range)
4. When the internal temp of the meat reaches 5* below your target temp (if cooking at 200-230*) remove steak to a plate and loosely tent with foil. (as much as 10* under your target if cooking at 250*) Leave probe in meat.
5. Open vents on grill and raise temp as high as you feel comfortable. The higher the better to keep a low internal finish temperature. (I know this sounds backwards or reverse even, but trust me)
6. When the internal temp of your meat has dropped 2 - 5* from it's carryover temp high, remove the probe and place meat directly over, and as close to the coals as your cooking rack allows. (on a Primo with a full load of charcoal you should be within a few inches, max) With extremely high heat and close proximity to the coals you should have a good sear in seconds. (remember, at this point you're only searing... the meat is cooked, so don't leave it on there longer than you have to)

The Primo offers the best setup possible for this method. Fire box divider with the cooking grate in the low position on the charcoal side for the sear... cooking grate in the upper position with an extended grate on the opposite side for the indirect / roasting.

5. Being able to cook to the doness that each person likes

That one,... and that's the one I have the most trouble with.

That is actually easier than you think.

My wife likes her steaks/burgers ruined(Well done). The daughter, Meduim and my son and myself go for medium rare.

i just put the stuff on a minute or 2 apart..the more well done stuff goes on first. So the wifes stuff goes on first. For steaks, I wait about 3 minutes, put on the daughters, wait 2 minutes, then put on mine and james'..

then they all come off within a minute of each other at the varyng degrees of doneness..

then it all goes down the chitter when I put the dish of steaks on the table to rest, and everyone takes the wrong steaks while I'm outside getting the remaining sides or veggies.. They fark up the order the steaks were in the dish(or ignore the toothpick I use to tell which is which) and i wind up with the farking hockey puck and my wife is asking why her(medium rare) steak is so good. :icon_pissed

oopss sorry.. i was starting to rant.. .. :cool::redface:

Yup,I do it the same way as Phil and get the same results. My wife wants all her meat well done but always picks the best looking piece which is not well done.

Staggering the start times, or cooking some over the hotter zone of the cooker is what I do to, so they all come off at about the same time. Funny thing is, if you go by terms only (rare, medium rare, medium, etc.), they mean different things to different folks. Unless I know what they want, I ask them if they want a barely warm red center, a warm pink center, or a hot pink center.

I strongly believe that most folks like their steaks a hair less done than they claim they do, and here's one of the tricks I do that did not make it on the list. I select the best looking up side for anyone that asks for medium well or well done...... What I really do is cook it about medium, but put more color and doneness on one side than the other. The more done side is the "up" side on the plate. Their eyes tell the brain that it's a medium well steak. Of course for backup I always keep the pit going in case I need to toss one back on for little bump.

Sorry I meant rib steak with about 2 centimeters of height. How would you all suggest me to cook it on my weber? Direct, indirect and which temperature?

Gas or charcoal?

Gas: Here's what I used to do... Start with all three burners on high and let things get very hot. Brush the steak with a little olive oil on each side and season. Put the steak on the grill in the middle for two minutes. Then flip over and shut off the center burner and set the outer burners to slightly below medium. close the lid and let the steak cook for 5 minutes then flip and go for another 5 minutes. Assuming that the steak wasn't frozen, and is about an inch thick (that's about 2.54cm, isn't is), then it should be medium rare.

Charcoal: Build you fire on one side of the kettle and let it get burning very well. Put the steak directly over the coals for tw minutes on a side. then move it to the indirect side and give it 5-6 minutes per side (again, depending on the thickness).

Gas or charcoal?

Gas: Here's what I used to do... Start with all three burners on high and let things get very hot. Brush the steak with a little olive oil on each side and season. Put the steak on the grill in the middle for two minutes. Then flip over and shut off the center burner and set the outer burners to slightly below medium. close the lid and let the steak cook for 5 minutes then flip and go for another 5 minutes. Assuming that the steak wasn't frozen, and is about an inch thick (that's about 2.54cm, isn't is), then it should be medium rare.

Charcoal: Build you fire on one side of the kettle and let it get burning very well. Put the steak directly over the coals for tw minutes on a side. then move it to the indirect side and give it 5-6 minutes per side (again, depending on the thickness).

Thanks a lot, this reply it's very useful. How many degrees do you mean by very hot? How can I get as much crust as possible on my Gas Weber Genesis? I'm sorry for keep on asking for crust, crunchy etc(I probably sound boring).. but I'm trying to make happy my grandmother by grilling the steak the way she wants it: crispy on surface! :p

Thanks a lot, this reply it's very useful. How many degrees do you mean by very hot? How can I get as much crust as possible on my Gas Weber Genesis? I'm sorry for keep on asking for crust, crunchy etc(I probably sound boring).. but I'm trying to make happy my grandmother by grilling the steak the way she wants it: crispy on surface! :p

I never pay attention to temp when grilling. I turn the burners on high and let it heat up for 10 - 15 minutes. I get a pretty good sear on the outside, but not as good as the sear I get on my Big Green Egg.

xinsrc_1421203142106078796137.jpg

If you can cook this burger and eat it in two bites and bang the girl serving it right after. You would pretty much be a pit master.

Sounds like a Pittsburgh steak. Love those.

I have found that a light coat of oil helps to sear the outside of the steak.

Regarding the temperature of the fire, I prefer the 2 zone method which is very similar to the reverse sear (one hot side and one low side)

A hot fire allows a 2-second hand count and has a temperature reading of 400° to 450°.
A medium fire equates to a hand count of 4 seconds and a temperature reading of 350° to 375°.
A low fire is considered a 5-second hand count and a temperature reading of 300° to 350°.

I am not the best cook in the world but I do cook a good steak and have tried allot of different methods. The latest is the best and simple OMHO. I have been using the kosher salting method. I coat both sides of the steak with a thick layer of salt and let then set for 20 to 30 minutes depending on thickness. I build a really hot charcoal fire. I then rinse and dry the steaks real well. When you pick them up you will be able to see the grain of the meet clearly. My wife likes well done so hers goes on first and 2 mins later mine. When the juice starts to run out the top of my steak I flip them and pile on onions for another 3 mins for mine hot pink center.

Honestly I don't know what I was doing with rubs and marinades. The salting brings out such a beefy flavor and they are the best I have ever done.

Pete

i like to lightly season,with simple seasonings,,let the steak rest to near room temp before throwing on a hot grill. try to avoid flipping it more than once,then pull the steak & let it rest,remember you will get some carry-over cooking during the rest,so pull the steak off before its too done..& if anyone wants a good steak well done,tell the farker to cook it themself!

Different strokes for different folks...there are as many recipes, rubs, and techniques that there are people using them. Learn the basics first...then tweak your style in from there. :p

Basic steak...

Good quality cut...choice or prime...1 inch thick minimum...room temperature before grilling.

Don't over season...I use mostly kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

Grill them to your desired level of doneness...for me I grill at 450-500 degrees direct for about 3 minutes per side. I usually get a medium to medium rare depending on the fat content (marbling).

Let them rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.

IMG_6946.jpg

Basic ribs...

Once again...good quality meats...loin backs or spares...it's your choice.

Don't over season...too much rub will not meld in to the meat and tastes grainy.

Smoke them low-n-slow...I shoot for 225-250 grate using apple and hickory for smoke woods. I like using my WSM and fill the pan with water to add a little moisture...but I've done them on my BGE and UDS with good success as well. Sometimes I use the 3-2-1 method...sometime just flat on the rack for about 2 hours per side...sometimes in a rib rack to get more ribs per smoke. I always glaze the last 30 minutes if folks want sauce...otherwise I leave them dry and serve the sauce on the side.

IMG_6968.jpg

Oh yea...what Wayne said too...:biggrin:

22800752.jpg

My list of tips starting from the most important would be:

1. Selecting quality beef
2. Not over-seasoning
3. Having a fire that YOU feel comfortable cooking over
4. Resting the meat before serving
5. Being able to cook to the doness that each person likes
6. Great side dishes to go with it
7. Having nice grill marks​

Excellent tips! Was the above steak done on a BGE?

Back