Impressed with Sam's Club Pork Butt by the Case

I just recently got a Sam's Club membership (my boyfriend's mother added me onto her existing account for free).

I just bought a case (76 pounds) of IBP Pork Butt for $1.38/lb, which I'm splitting with my brother. (Cost $105 plus tax).

I'm impressed because I just now noticed that the cryo packs say on them: "All Natural". This means they aren't "enhanced" or watered down--yay!

I believe the Tyson pork butt I bought at Walmart for $1.99/lb was
"enhanced" by about 10% (correct me if I am wrong).

If this is the case, then I'm saving even more than 62 cents per pound.. maybe around 75 cents per pound? Loving this.

Can't wait to make some buckboard bacon!

I've been buying the IBP Boneless Butts at Cash & Carry. They're not enhanced, and have been very good quality.

IBP is actually the "Fresh Meats Division" of Tyson Foods.

It's a weird feeling when you open the package and no juice pours out. I've gotten used to it! :-D

It's a good feeling. :-D

Support your local butcher, just sayin. :grin:

:-( I don't think we have any local butcher's here anymore. A couple "Meat Markets", and a couple grocerie stores with butcher's in house, but I think all in all it is factory farm meat just like Sam's Club.

Chris

:-( I don't think we have any local butcher's here anymore. A couple "Meat Markets", and a couple grocerie stores with butcher's in house, but I think all in all it is factory farm meat just like Sam's Club.

Chris

Yeah it stinks large corps are driving mom and pop businesses out. I try to support local as much as I can. I bet the meat market prices are outrageous huh? We have a new market here that sells grass fed and it was unreal $$.

You're probably right about the Wal-Mart butts being enchanted, they are around here. I tend to buy my butts from Sam's always all natural.

Never heard of enchanted butt before!:laugh:

Seriously though, yes, Sams are alright but by me they tend to run small. Most at RD are bigger on average.

But I always check to see if they're "enhanced" Sams and RD never as far as I know, Costco, not that I've seen. Meijer by us, almost always enhanced pork products

When I had a Sams Club account I always got my pork butts there. They wouldn't make me buy the whole case either. I could just get single cryo with two butts in it, just had to ask one of the people there to fetch me one and slap a label on it.

We're Costco now and am really bummed they don't have bone-in butts.

They don't make you buy by the case. You get a discount if you do.

I just recently got a Sam's Club membership (my boyfriend's mother added me onto her existing account for free).

I just bought a case (76 pounds) of IBP Pork Butt for $1.38/lb, which I'm splitting with my brother. (Cost $105 plus tax).

I'm impressed because I just now noticed that the cryo packs say on them: "All Natural". This means they aren't "enhanced" or watered down--yay!

I believe the Tyson pork butt I bought at Walmart for $1.99/lb was
"enhanced" by about 10% (correct me if I am wrong).

If this is the case, then I'm saving even more than 62 cents per pound.. maybe around 75 cents per pound? Loving this.

Can't wait to make some buckboard bacon!

Were you able to request IBP? Our SAMs carries Smithfield and IBP. Never both at the same time. I have stopped buying the Smithfield. Don't like the way they cut them now.

Yeah it stinks large corps are driving mom and pop businesses out. I try to support local as much as I can. I bet the meat market prices are outrageous huh? We have a new market here that sells grass fed and it was unreal $$.

Yeah the prices are pretty steep. I was just told the other day that one of the local farmers is now selling meat out of his little roadside produce shop. I am going to stop in and see what he has.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for the idea for the buckboard bacon... On Saturday, I stuck a couple chunks a couple pounds each in the fridge with some cure on it. I hope it turns out. For cure I just mixed 2 teaspoons instacure #1 with 1/4 cup pickling salt, and 1/4 cup black pepper in the ninja. Then rubbed it all over them.

Thanks,
Chris

Piggley Wiggley has the best price on pork down south most of the time

Wow, thanks! I checked out their web site and it turns out there is a Piggly Wiggly not more than 15 miles from me! I am kinda surprised both Oklahoma stores are in suburbs and not towns. There is none in Tulsa nor Oklahoma City.. but there is one on the outskirts of Tulsa and another is some other small city.

(Turns out they have like 600 stores nationwide.. funny I never ever heard of them before)

I called them and got on their ads email list.. they mail out ads each week. I can't wait to get pork butt for 99 cents/lb!!! If they go that low.

Thanks again! Oh btw, is their pork enhanced or all natural?

Keep in mind that just because something is labled "All Natural" doesn't mean it wasn't injected with a salt water solution. Salt and water are both natural things so it is perfectly legal to lable meat treated with it all natural.

Yeah, for these IBP pork butts, I looked all over the package to see if it said it was injected and there is nothing mentioning that, but it does say "All Natural". When I open them up from the cryo, they are nothing like Tyson pork butts--I don't have water going everywhere.. they are relatively dry, which is pleasant because it doesn't make a big bacterial mess.

I think I might be doing the same thing... Going to Sam's tonight to pick up a couple butts for sausage. Maybe I will do so bacon too. This is actually the first I have heard of buckboard bacon.

I might have to pick up another fridge and freezer just for meat!!!

Chris

I am going to grind up one of my pork butts as well.. it's very nice to mix 50/50 ground beef/pork for a bbq'd meatloaf! :)

When I had a Sams Club account I always got my pork butts there. They wouldn't make me buy the whole case either. I could just get single cryo with two butts in it, just had to ask one of the people there to fetch me one and slap a label on it.

We're Costco now and am really bummed they don't have bone-in butts.

Yeah they sell the exact same cryo pack individually (instead of a set of four of them in a case) for $1.69 a pound right now. I bought the case because it was a significant savigns: 1.38/lb. I split the case with my brother and a coworker of his.

Thanks for the idea for the buckboard bacon... On Saturday, I stuck a couple chunks a couple pounds each in the fridge with some cure on it. I hope it turns out. For cure I just mixed 2 teaspoons instacure #1 with 1/4 cup pickling salt, and 1/4 cup black pepper in the ninja. Then rubbed it all over them.

Thanks,
Chris

Good luck with the cure and smoke. I am going to be doing this tomorrow after I get my Prague Cure #1 in the mail. How many pounds of butt for that quantity of cure you mentioned? Did you cut the pork butt along the muscle lines or did you just keep the whole thing intact and rubbed it down whole? The pork butt I have in the fridge--that I am going to cure for buckboard bacon--is so darn huge.. like 9 or 10 pounds. I guess I can throw it in my cambro plastic container and cover with plastic wrap. It won't fit in a zip lock bag whole of course.

Btw, is pickling salt preferred over kosher salt when curing? Of course I'd measure either by weight only.

Were you able to request IBP? Our SAMs carries Smithfield and IBP. Never both at the same time. I have stopped buying the Smithfield. Don't like the way they cut them now.

I didn't know they sold "Smithfield". I am new to Sam's and I've only seen IBP. I asked them for a case of pork butt and htey gave me IBP.

Pickling salt is just what I had, I honestly do not know what the difference is. I have been using instacure #1 from the sausage maker. A bacon recipe that I found for the "normal" pig belly bacon was 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup maple sugar, and 2 teaspoons of instacure #1, for 5lb of belly. I am trying to cut out the sugars, so I left out the maple, and added pepper... as I like pepper bacon.

I cut the bone out by following the muscle line, and then I Just trimmed up some of the fat cap and took about an inch and a half thick chunk under that. I kept that hard fat, and threw that with the rest of the butt that was cut up to be ground up. I got a little more than 4lb for the bacon, and about 12 pounds or so of ground pork for sausage out of the 2-packs.

If it turns out good, I will make more and take pics. I usually do the sausage every other week or so.

Chris

Good luck with the cure and smoke. I am going to be doing this tomorrow after I get my Prague Cure #1 in the mail. How many pounds of butt for that quantity of cure you mentioned? Did you cut the pork butt along the muscle lines or did you just keep the whole thing intact and rubbed it down whole? The pork butt I have in the fridge--that I am going to cure for buckboard bacon--is so darn huge.. like 9 or 10 pounds. I guess I can throw it in my cambro plastic container and cover with plastic wrap. It won't fit in a zip lock bag whole of course.

Btw, is pickling salt preferred over kosher salt when curing? Of course I'd measure either by weight only.

Pickling salt is just what I had, I honestly do not know what the difference is.

Found this:

Pickling salt — sometimes called canning salt or preserving salt — is pure granulated salt (sodium chloride). Unlike table salt, pickling salt does not contain anti-caking ingredients, which can turn pickles cloudy, or additives like iodine, which can make pickles dark. In addition, fine granules make pickling salt easy to dissolve in a brine.

Back