***Important Changes to the Throwdowns RE: Special Rules***

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
For those of you who didn’t see what happened in the Bean TD, you can view the entry thread so you are fully informed before you read further HERE.

Essentially, I decided to honor Bill’s (SmokinAussie’s) request to allow entries that did not adhere to the special spoon shot special rule that he originally outlined in the category. Since Bill called the category, I thought relaxing the requirement was being a good sport. :loco:

Well, that didn’t go over well with some folks, and I’m glad it was brought up. Now, if Bill had changed his mind before the TD had begun, that would be one thing, but to eliminate the required spoon shot during the course of the TD when many of the entrants went out of their way to include it just wasn’t fair, and peeps and I see this now.

I was really thinking we should eliminate all special rules period moving FW as to avoid situations like this and other clusterfarks that have happened in the recent and distant past, but after getting my head around this, I realized that they are not necessarily the problem, the problem lies primarily in how they were enforced and communicated.

Grimm5577 sent us a PM with some helpful ideas of how we might avoid situations like this in the future, and peeps and I have decided the following:

We will continue to allow special rules under the following conditions:

1. The special rule or rules MUST be simple, easy to execute, and reasonable. Asking for props to be included and or photographic feats that require unnecessary effort that detracts from the theme of the TD does NOT qualify. Peeps and I will decide whether a proposed TD category with a special rule meets these criteria. If we feel it does not, our decision is FINAL.

2. With all TD’s moving FW that have a special rule, we will state the special rule in BOLD underneath the category description so it is plain for all to see. If you enter a TD and don’t demonstrate you complied with the special rule, you will receive one of these, in your choice of four delicious flavors:

dilly-bar-box.jpg

3. If you win a TD, and choose a category where you have outlined a special rule and you want to change or eliminate the special rule, either before or during the TD, we will not accommodate your request.

Finally, I’d like to thank peeps for doing such a great job here with me. He stepped up to the plate when I needed someone the most, and to say he hit the ground running is an understatement. :thumb:

The reason we do what we do is because we love this forum, and enjoy watching and participating in the amazing cooks that unfold here each week. We’ve seen the TD’s evolve from its early stages in 2008 from simple weekly cooking/photography contests to more complex events that now include prizes, certificates, and monthly special TD’s that add to the excitement here.

Oh, and one last thing…you might want to think twice about asking for special rules next time you win a TD…

:pound:

Thanks, Moose, for the vote of confidence in taking on this role. :thumb:

The intent of the comment below is NOT to throw Moose under the bus or place blame elsewhere, but to be open with you guys and show that we tried to handle this in a fair and fun manner for all involved parties involved.

Upon realizing that I had an offending entry in the Beans TD, I gave Moose my opinion that non-complying entries should be DQ'd, but left it to Moose to decide since I was a TD participant WITH an offending entry and he was not. Bill posted up, as the TD category owner, that he would accept close-up shots in lieu of spoon shots. Moose made the tough call to allow the entries to stay based on Bill's concession on the spoon-shot rule instead of having most of the field DQ'd (based on entry status at the time of our discussion, there were only 2 complying entries). Moose's decision was based on what he felt was in the best interest of the TD at the time and we have been in daily discussion since that time to TRY to mitigate future scenarios like this while still maintaining the TDs in a manner that is as close to what we have now, which I think is pretty great!

Since the original offending entries were NOT DQ'd, I made my vote accordingly for an entry that fully complied with the rules from the first time I saw it (not edited once the issue came to light). You guys are welcome to do the same in instances where you may not think an entry complied with the rules laid out by the TD category owner yet did not receive a DQ from the TD mods.

Now, everyone take a chug from the Cabo bottle and think up your best Chorizo, Pizza, or Duck/Goose entry! :thumb:

I think this covers all the problems anyone could have with any entry.
12. If you have ANY problems with ANY of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for ANY reason, please use the VOTE thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. DO NOT post any complaints in the Throwdown threads about any entry. DO NOT complain about those entries to the moderator (me). DO NOT complain to the person who made the entry via PM or any other means, as this could be construed as a personal attack which is against forum rules. Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse.

12. If you have ANY problems with ANY of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for ANY reason, please use the VOTE thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. DO NOT post any complaints in the Throwdown threads about any entry. DO NOT complain about those entries to the moderator (me). DO NOT complain to the person who made the entry via PM or any other means, as this could be construed as a personal attack which is against forum rules. Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse.

You'd think so, but unfortunately not everyone has followed that in the past. :wacko:

The crazy thing is, the request wasn't even THAT off the wall compared to plating a dish with figurines! :wink:

Several of us just managed to fark it right up!

I know Brother. You and Moose called it the way most of us would have given the circumstances. I personally think y'all are doing a Great job and really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into it. :clap2:

You'd think so, but unfortunately not everyone has followed that in the past. :wacko:
And if people do not follow the rules, " Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse."
Use the big stick. You can always fall back to the awesome power of the Poobah.

I think you should post that rule again in bold right after the special rules in each TD. Either that or make Guerry a moderator that might kill two birds with one stone, he's all over that kinda chit. :razz:

Great work and thanks to the mods for all you do. Personally,I think it was a non-issue, but I guess clarification never hurts:-D. Big thanks to Moose and Peeps!

KC

Back