Importance of spices in rubs and sauces

O

OMFGBBQ

I was wondering what brand of spices most people use? I find it troubling that a lot of people do not focus more on using higher quality spices in their rubs and sauces. You see posts and videos of people buying Waygu/Kobe briskets or Berkshire pork for ridiculous amounts of money and them coating them with spices bought from the dollar store. Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

I find that funny too. Or the videos of people making "award winning" chili using store brand chili powder. The flavor difference between off the shelf, pre-ground bottled spices and fresh ground whole spices is beyond belief, ESPECIALLY when talking about spice blends like chili or curry powders. I usually to to the local Amish market a couple times a year for whole spices. The prices have gone up in the last few years, but they're still cheaper than most and really fresh.

I get my spices from Penderey's, Mild Bills, and have done a few other places. I do have a few, like spanish paprika, from Sams club...

I saw a story on Food Network that had interviews with some competition chili folks and they said they use the dried jar spices because they are more consistent and you get more control over where your results come out. With fresh you can get super hot or not hot at all depending on a specific day's peppers. That made sense to me.

I was just talking about the importance of fresh spices this morning to a co-worker. I won't use any spice if I think it's too old. I'll admit that I buy the cheaper stuff from time to time only if I know that I'm going to use it quickly otherwise I'll buy whole spices and grind them as needed.

I do both spices bought from my grocery store or from a spice shop. I do prefer whole. And I source black pepper directly from Vietnam.

Penzeys Spices is your friend. Although I would steer clear of what they call "BBQ 3000," I'm not a fan of it on pork/beef.

Back