I'm Shirley Going To Miss My XL and Small Egg

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
I blame member BuckN BBQ for this! :becky:

I sold my XL and Small Big Green Egg and will be listing my Good One Open Range smoker and Big Steel Keg shortly. Why? This smoker ended up following me home!

BuckN BBQ posted his Shirley on Craigslist and I didn't think too much about it. Well that lasted a whole half hour. I couldn't justify the price as I've never used a stick burner before and it's just my wife and I. Than again I have 10 grills and it's just my wife and I. So that theory wasn't very logical. Then it struck me. Maybe it was time to do some spring cleaning with my grills. Maybe that Shirley on Craigslist wasn't too far of a stretch after all. I've never seen a Shirley on Craigslist let alone one in Minnesota. That just doesn't happen. I had to email. Even if I didn't end up with it. I'd be kicking myself if I didn't at least make an attempt.

Then I get an email back from BuckN BBQ and he said that it's still available after a half day on Craigslist. I knew it wasn't going to be very long before it gets picked up. Especially with it being here in Minnesota. So I made an offer and crossed my fingers. BuckN BBQ said he wanted it to go to someone who would use it. That I could do! He said it was all mine! Score!!!!

BuckN BBQ help was much appreciated when going over everything. I've never used a stick burner in my life and here I am buying a Shirley smoker! Talk about butt backwards! BuckN BBQ went over how everything worked and what to do. You could tell that this smoker was his baby. It was in fantastic shape and only used during nice weather conditions. A big thanks to him and his help with everything! Here's a picture of the smoker pulling into its new stable.

Here's the smoker itself. 24x65

The first cook was a couple racks of ribs, two butts, corned beef, and some taters in the foil.

Plated:

All in all for the first time using a stick burner I was happy how things turned out. Definitely room for improvement. My temp and fire management needs improvement. I felt that I was feeding it a stick every 15-20 minutes to keep it at 250 degress. I'm all ears for any tips or suggestions with a stick burner. I'm enjoying learning the process. I'm hoping to do a brisket and some wings this weekend. Hopefully I can get a little better grasp with temp control and only feed it every 35-45 minutes.

Thanks for looking!

It'll all come naturally after you run it a few times! Nice score. Looks like you did a great job for your first trip stick burning! I know stick burning is time consuming but I have nothing but time on my hands so I love it!

sometimes you just gotta take advantage of the situation. glad you jumped on this before it disappeared.

Congratulations... What size sticks/splits are you using?

Thanks for all the kind words WeberWho :oops: First class brethren right there guys!! Food looks absolutely fantastic. I had a similar issue when I first started with the stick burner on adding splits so quickly. What Paul Shirley recommended was start with 8lbs of KIngsford Blue (or lump) for a good base. Get that going with about three splits once up to temp, you should only have to add a split about every 40-60 minutes. Just have to make sure you keep a good bed of coals and it will pur for you.

Congrats !!

I had no experience with a stick burner at all when i bought my Shirley..
Is so damnn simple. Idk if all stick burners are like that but the Shirley had been so easy to use. There was NO learnimg curve for me at all !!.
Got me a digital therm and that bad boy lets me know when to feed her.. Get a dig wireless therm. Its a must have.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

BillN - The sticks are about the diameter of a beer can and around 14-16" long

Very cool TuscaloosaQ! You guys make one hell of a smoker!

Going to be throwing on a brisket tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

Nice job. The part of me that doesn't want to be married anymore says "go get one for yourself", but the part of me that likes the married, family life says "your smoker is fine". We'll see what the future holds. Great smoker and score.

Nice job. The part of me that doesn't want to be married anymore says "go get one for yourself", but the part of me that likes the married, family life says "your smoker is fine". We'll see what the future holds. Great smoker and score.

Too funny Ron and thanks!

Back