THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exactly! I just wish they were easier to hide in the back yard. I can't let my wife truly know what I am doing out there....:biggrin1:

To be honest, she is on board, but she does question why I don't get rid of some of them if I am buying new ones.....:rofl:

Does she get rid of old clothes and shoes when she gets new ones? If not she should understand...:blah:

Well.....

After pestering Rob at Cascade for countless hours via phone calls and email, I was really leaning toward one of his smokers. The Continental was looking like the one. Then I looked at the Que-Deville and thought it might be big enough, but I wasn't sure.... Rob asked me a bunch of questions and walked me through a lot of what his experience has shown, and I placed my order this week for a custom Que-Deville. He is going to make it a bit wider for me to put me right in the sweet spot between the two models. I ordered the cart, off road wheels, a shelf, and extra push handle, and a handful of other custom items. I am very comfortable with the purchase, which surprises really surprises me. I thought I'd be second guessing myself like crazy.

Lord, I need help. I truly do blame all of you for this you know.... This site has made learning more about BBQ a true joy in my life. I also appreciate the constant source of honest input and helpful knowledge that all of you readily share. We are lucky to have this place!

Can't wait to get that thing home, season it and get to smokin'!

On a side note, dealing with Rob was a pleasure and a blast. Great guy who never once tried to oversell me or get me to buy anything other than what I was asking for. Great sense of humor and very patient with me as I asked a LOT of questions (some of which I am sure were dumb as hell)....:mrgreen:

So is this a reverse flow IVS?

Exactly! I just wish they were easier to hide in the back yard. I can't let my wife truly know what I am doing out there....:biggrin1:

To be honest, she is on board, but she does question why I don't get rid of some of them if I am buying new ones.....:rofl:

Is your back yard fenced? If so, maybe hire a local artist to pain the fence with a bunch of life size smokers. Think camouflage, wheel a new one in, park it in front of it's portrait.

Well.....

After pestering Rob at Cascade for countless hours via phone calls and email, I was really leaning toward one of his smokers. The Continental was looking like the one. Then I looked at the Que-Deville and thought it might be big enough, but I wasn't sure.... Rob asked me a bunch of questions and walked me through a lot of what his experience has shown, and I placed my order this week for a custom Que-Deville. He is going to make it a bit wider for me to put me right in the sweet spot between the two models. I ordered the cart, off road wheels, a shelf, and extra push handle, and a handful of other custom items. I am very comfortable with the purchase, which surprises really surprises me. I thought I'd be second guessing myself like crazy.

Lord, I need help. I truly do blame all of you for this you know.... This site has made learning more about BBQ a true joy in my life. I also appreciate the constant source of honest input and helpful knowledge that all of you readily share. We are lucky to have this place!

Can't wait to get that thing home, season it and get to smokin'!

On a side note, dealing with Rob was a pleasure and a blast. Great guy who never once tried to oversell me or get me to buy anything other than what I was asking for. Great sense of humor and very patient with me as I asked a LOT of questions (some of which I am sure were dumb as hell)....:mrgreen:

Congratulations! I’m jealous. How long is it supposed to take? If you don’t mind me asking, was the cost somewhere between the que-deville and continental? I’m kind of curious because I know some people will charge a lot extra for a custom size. Feel free to not answer if not comfortable...

Congratulations! I’m jealous. How long is it supposed to take? If you don’t mind me asking, was the cost somewhere between the que-deville and continental? I’m kind of curious because I know some people will charge a lot extra for a custom size. Feel free to not answer if not comfortable...

I don't mind answering at all, it's how good info gets passed along.

Build time is 8-10 weeks, which I thought was great. The price was in between the Continental and the Que-Deville for the pit itself. I don't count the mods, as those would have been extra no matter which model I went with. The Que-Deville has 1,518 sq in of cooking surface, the Continental has 2,376 sq in of cooking surface, and mine landed at 2,070 sq in. I liked the idea of the wider model up on a cart so I could maintain the cooking area, and not have to bend over to get to the firebox. As a guy at 6'3", and not getting any younger, it appealed to me.

Having been around steel work and welding when I was younger, I feel like I got a very fair and solid deal from Rob. Shipping was much better coming from the west coast too, like some of the others have mentioned. There are a lot of options to choose from, and if you ever get more interested, I would highly recommend contacting Rob and speaking with him. He's got a ton of photos from past builds and those were very helpful in making the final decision.:wink:

Back