THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music Junkie

Full Fledged Farker
I am finally in the market for a new smoker. I have really been locked in on a gravity fed, but lately I have been researching non gravity fed IVC's as well. I tend to subscribe to the philosophy of "Learn your pit and cook with it", so I feel confident that whichever way I go will be great. At first I thought that the gravity fed was the obvious way to go for someone who still wants a touch of "Set it and forget it". However, from what I can gather, the regular vaults are just as friendly. I am also intrigued by the reverse flow options of the vaults. Is there any specific advantage to that? Does it make that much of a difference in evening out the overall pit temps from top to bottom? One thing I read in several article was about pit fires from grease dripping down and being too close to the fire box in some models. The articles said if you clean well after each cook, it wasn't a problem. Are there models out there that are less prone to that type of thing?

I've read through some of the great threads here, and find myself changing my mind every other day. Do I just flip a coin and live with the choice? I don't think it's too much of a risk as long as I stay with some of the brands I am looking at (Stumps, Humphrey's, Assassin, LSG, KAT, Meadow Creek).

I'm posting in hopes that someone might have that tenuous piece of info, or outside the box tidbit of advice that might help me decide.:confused:

It sounds like you are on the right track! I'm biased towards gravity smokers. They truly are a set and forget. Some people say that they run too efficient and don't give off the wood flavor like an offset. I've learned that you just have to layer wood chunks in the chute, and keep some chunks in the ash pan. I have an Assassin, but bought a Masterbuilt 1050 because it was on clearance. I think the product is darn near identical on both cookers. However, the Masterbuilt has a much smaller cooking surface than the Assassin. Anyway, if you wanted to get in "cheap" to see if you like the gravity cook, then the Masterbuilt 560 or 1050 will let you do it for under $1K easily.

Choosing a new cooker can be very difficult sometimes because there are so many different kinds and models out there and they each seem to offer something a little different. These things are usually not cheap so you want to try and make the best decision you can.

I've been where you are and overthink things as well. I usually just bite the bullet and see what happens. My problem is that I get tempted by other cookers and want to try out something new even if what I have works perfectly fine.

Good luck on your choice.

You might take a look at Cascade Smokers. I was looking at them a few years ago because they are a reasonable drive for me. It's nice to spend money on the cooker and not freight. I have never set eyes on one but I have heard good things.

http://www.cascadesmokers.com/

I've owned both types. The insulated cabinets are easier to dial in your smoke flavor. Also easier to clean if you don't use water. On most gf the bottom shelf is too hot to use. I also remember my GF taking longer to heat up. As you can tell I prefer insulated cabinets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It sounds like you are on the right track! I'm biased towards gravity smokers. They truly are a set and forget. Some people say that they run too efficient and don't give off the wood flavor like an offset. I've learned that you just have to layer wood chunks in the chute, and keep some chunks in the ash pan. I have an Assassin, but bought a Masterbuilt 1050 because it was on clearance. I think the product is darn near identical on both cookers. However, the Masterbuilt has a much smaller cooking surface than the Assassin. Anyway, if you wanted to get in "cheap" to see if you like the gravity cook, then the Masterbuilt 560 or 1050 will let you do it for under $1K easily.

I checked out the Masterbuilt, as they have them in stock at the local BBQ store. I was interested, but wanted to take a bit deeper plunge. Which Assassin do you have, and IF you have a complaint, what would it be. They are fantastic looking units, and high on the list.

Choosing a new cooker can be very difficult sometimes because there are so many different kinds and models out there and they each seem to offer something a little different. These things are usually not cheap so you want to try and make the best decision you can.

I've been where you are and overthink things as well. I usually just bite the bullet and see what happens. My problem is that I get tempted by other cookers and want to try out something new even if what I have works perfectly fine.

Good luck on your choice.

I hear you! If I REALLY had money, I would just have one of everything lined up... Wife would leave me, but at least I could have fun cooking.:biggrin1:

You might take a look at Cascade Smokers. I was looking at them a few years ago because they are a reasonable drive for me. It's nice to spend money on the cooker and not freight. I have never set eyes on one but I have heard good things.

http://www.cascadesmokers.com/

I'd really love to be able to see them all in person, but that is just not an option unfortunately. There aren't many pit makes in my area either. I have always preferred to kick the tires before purchasing anything, but I feel I have learned enough about them to trust in a lot of these brands.

I've owned both types. The insulated cabinets are easier to dial in your smoke flavor. Also easier to clean if you don't use water. On most gf the bottom shelf is too hot to use. I also remember my GF taking longer to heat up. As you can tell I prefer insulated cabinets.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of info/opinion I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking, what insulated cabinet was your go to? Was it direct heat, or reverse flow?

The only ones I have personally cooked I are the Egg and a reverse flow Meadowcreek stick burner. Both excellent. If I was fining to invest in a new pit it would be The Meadowcreek Cabinet. It is built like a tank and is a beast. Have seen in in action @ comps and does really well. Check them out. May be a dealer near you

The only ones I have personally cooked I are the Egg and a reverse flow Meadowcreek stick burner. Both excellent. If I was fining to invest in a new pit it would be The Meadowcreek Cabinet. It is built like a tank and is a beast. Have seen in in action @ comps and does really well. Check them out. May be a dealer near you

They are on my list, and the dealer about 40min away carries them. I went to check them out, but they had sold the last one, and did not know when the next ones were coming in. I am on the list to call when they come in again.

What Gravity flow model did you have?

Personally, I like most all of them from the manufacturers you list. I just put a deposit down to get a Southern Q Limo Jr. (with a little bit of modification done) manufactured. My hardest decision, is that I liked so many of them. I almost pulled the trigger on an Assassin and Humphreys. I like almost everything Lonestar makes. If I had an extra 1500 to spend, I’d probably have ordered a Deep South as they are really impressive. In the end, I liked the details and design of the Limo Jr. the most and decided to go that route, but it was tough decision as I liked so many of them. I see advantages to both iVS and Gravity feed designs.

My experience is mostly with an older Stumps baby xl that a dear friend loaned to me for a summer. Loved that thing. The Stumps ran about 30 degrees hotter on the lower shelf. So if you dialed in 250 it would be around 280 on the bottom. I used this to my advantage and cooked chicken and other stuff that I like higher heat on that rack while doing the lower and slower above. Most offsets run similar on different levels. Never thought it was an issue with the Stumps. To me, I enjoy the versatility of the gravity feed units. You can keep them cooking for as long as you want. You can easily add new smoking wood whenever you want as well. So, say you add some items much later in a cook, just add a mini split into the fire box then and you got added smoke. Can change up the types of wood easy as well. Maintenance was always simple. I left the unused charcoal in the shoot. Just rattled the bottom grate a bit with a small hammer to shake out ash. The small ash pan fire box area is simple to keep clean. Also, it’s a good idea to keep a sheet of aluminum foil between the top of the charcoal shoot and lid. If you cook in pans, the cook chamber is really no maintenance. Just spray in some Pam. If you do cook on the racks, it’s no different than any other smoking box to keep clean from my experience. Just my 2 cents from a little prior experience.

I really like my insulated reverse flow cabinet from Cascade Smokers. I get real even temps from top to bottom and it's about as set it and forget it as it gets.
I see you're on the west coast so you should check them out as shipping shouldn't be too bad as they are on the west coast as well.

I had the LSG large insulated, fully loaded I could go over 20 hrs @275*... easily.
Not sure what the point is in a gravity fed other than gimmick...no offense...I'll attempt ta refrain from giving it, but it's just more material, more labor and at cost it's less space. Is it giving ya more burn time on average? Doubtful.
In honesty, here's some things I don't know about gravity fed....
Temp range capabilities.
How quickly ta temp.
How goofy do I look shoving coal in a chute above me evorloving shoulders....J/K
I'm sure they are great cookers. Lsg/pitmaker/ Ironside...seems a little more simple.

-D

Personally, I like most all of them from the manufacturers you list. I just put a deposit down to get a Southern Q Limo Jr. (with a little bit of modification done) manufactured. My hardest decision, is that I liked so many of them. I almost pulled the trigger on an Assassin and Humphreys. I like almost everything Lonestar makes. If I had an extra 1500 to spend, I’d probably have ordered a Deep South as they are really impressive. In the end, I liked the details and design of the Limo Jr. the most and decided to go that route, but it was tough decision as I liked so many of them. I see advantages to both iVS and Gravity feed designs.

My experience is mostly with an older Stumps baby xl that a dear friend loaned to me for a summer. Loved that thing. The Stumps ran about 30 degrees hotter on the lower shelf. So if you dialed in 250 it would be around 280 on the bottom. I used this to my advantage and cooked chicken and other stuff that I like higher heat on that rack while doing the lower and slower above. Most offsets run similar on different levels. Never thought it was an issue with the Stumps. To me, I enjoy the versatility of the gravity feed units. You can keep them cooking for as long as you want. You can easily add new smoking wood whenever you want as well. So, say you add some items much later in a cook, just add a mini split into the fire box then and you got added smoke. Can change up the types of wood easy as well. Maintenance was always simple. I left the unused charcoal in the shoot. Just rattled the bottom grate a bit with a small hammer to shake out ash. The small ash pan fire box area is simple to keep clean. Also, it’s a good idea to keep a sheet of aluminum foil between the top of the charcoal shoot and lid. If you cook in pans, the cook chamber is really no maintenance. Just spray in some Pam. If you do cook on the racks, it’s no different than any other smoking box to keep clean from my experience. Just my 2 cents from a little prior experience.

That Limo Jr. unit looks nice! I really appreciate the detailed advice and some insight on cleaning and maintenance. I tend to cook on the racks, and not in pans. Guess it would really depend on what I am cooking though.

I really like my insulated reverse flow cabinet from Cascade Smokers. I get real even temps from top to bottom and it's about as set it and forget it as it gets.
I see you're on the west coast so you should check them out as shipping shouldn't be too bad as they are on the west coast as well.

I will dig into them more. I am always on board to shave a few bucks off from shipping!

I had the LSG large insulated, fully loaded I could go over 20 hrs @275*... easily.
Not sure what the point is in a gravity fed other than gimmick...no offense...I'll attempt ta refrain from giving it, but it's just more material, more labor and at cost it's less space. Is it giving ya more burn time on average? Doubtful.
In honesty, here's some things I don't know about gravity fed....
Temp range capabilities.
How quickly ta temp.
How goofy do I look shoving coal in a chute above me evorloving shoulders....J/K
I'm sure they are great cookers. Lsg/pitmaker/ Ironside...seems a little more simple.

-D

I went toward the GF at first because of the ease of use. However, like I mentioned, the more I dig into all of this, the more I see that the IVC units seem just as easy to work with. Your points on the GF are not lost on me, they seem valid. Believe me, with the prospect of spending anywhere between $2500 and $5000, I am listening to everything....lol

To be honest, when it comes down to it, I am probably more interested in what users dislike about any of these units. Nothing degrading or disrespectful, but honest things that might make someone wish they would have gone another route. Like I said, I am overthinking it!:crazy:

Good luck on your decision. You can also look in the classified section here, and wait till something is close if you don't need it now. If you was closer I would say check out T&K smokers. I have the medium reverse flow and love it. A lot of stuff comes standard that other places up charge for.

I will dig into them more. I am always on board to shave a few bucks off from shipping!

Love my cascade smoker as well. I’d give Rob a call and talk about your options.

Lived up to all my expectations and more. I’d buy another if something happened to my current one.

Back