THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You might try Royal Oak briquettes. I'd suggest trying Weber charcoal, but seeing they no longer sell it, I think that RO made it for them. I really dislike the smell that Kingsford puts off when it first lights. Like others mentioned, you should try upping the temp too. I usually smoke around 275 on my WSCG. Recently I did a pork shoulder at 225 overnight and didn't want it done too early and felt like it almost had a bit of a bitter taste in the bark.

With brisket and chuck roast I wrap in butcher paper once the bark is where I like it. I generally use Pecan on beef in the WSCG too.

Will be interesting to see your results when you get your offset, running 100% lump natural charcoal and wood.

Since you might have an aversion, stick to the oak and maybe lighter fruit woods. Stay away from mesquite as your wood source.

This may have been said, but once the meat comes to around 160*, there is no more absorption of smoke flavor so wrapping is fine and you wont get a "sooty" taste.

In the end, you just might not prefer it, and that is fine too.

Looking forward to reading your experiments in flavor!

I do not smoke beef very often but when I do I make certain pit is up to temp as others pointed out for a good bit first and I avoid hickory and mesquite. I just can not do it. IMO them 2 woods just are terrible and most that eat at my house agree as well. However to be fair, I might have over did it as well. Those two are rough and I just don't care for them.

And sorry so late to the party. It has been a good while since I was on the boards last. Hope everyone is well.

The cleaner the fire burns the less smoke you get. In east Texas some burn wood in a barrel creating coals them shovel the coals in the the pit where the meat never get smoke just flavor.

Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing.

Back