I'm new to BBQ Brethren!

globetrotter

I have read hundreds of posts and pages about all sorts of BBQ topics here for the past 6 months. Finally joined!

Thank you for all of the great info, everyone!

Me: 40-something with young family at home.
My gear: A Sears kettle grill that I have done brisket, ribs, flank steaks, pork tenderloins, burgers, steaks, dogs, and fish on in hot summer and winter blizzards. Used wicked and cowboy lump, kingsford, chunks of wood, few others.
My longest smoke was 23 hours for the brisket which was really quite good.

Finally decided to upgrade to a OTG in blue (Go Blue!) and did my first ribs on the 4th of July. Spent the entire day chasing the temps on the little thermometer on the lid. Was a MISERABLE experience and the ribs really didn't turn out very well. 4.5 hours chasing 250 but running from 150 to 350.

At the end of the day a family friend came by and said she had "one of those tall weber smoker things" for me at her friend's parents' garage and she would bring it to me in the next week or two. It is red an has been used twice. She says it's not as big around as my 22.5 OTG so I'm hoping it's a WSM 18.5 but she can't remember for sure what it is and it will be a week till I see it.

Will report back here when I get it and figure out what to do about my temperature situation. Probably going to get the Maverick 732 and if my suspicions are correct and I'm getting a WSM, I will be in great shape.

I'm seriously thinking about getting some cast iron grates for the OTG and then maybe I can grill and smoke in peace without having to buy more stuff for a while!

GT

Back