I'm having problems with my chubby.

Penguinshockey87

Name or Nickame
Brett
I've been running my Backwoods Chubby g2 weekly for almost a year now using mostly hickory and oak. My issue lies with the water pan, atleast I think so. I feel like the environment in my cooker is too wet and I have bark that is sub par. I've heard of using fire brick in the water pan but with this style cooker will the temperature be hard to manage? I'm currently using fireboard with a pit viper fan and it maintains temperature great. Also when I purchased this cooker the temperature range was 180 to 300°F will I harm the cooker going 350 for chicken? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I had my G2 Chubby & Party for about 5yrs. Great cookers, but they are water cookers so bark will be a little softer, especially in the chubby when the food is closer to the water than say in a Party where you can get things up higher. It was my dedicated rib cooker for events and made some banging ribs.

I've run it dry, but temps can get hot and hard to bring back down. 350 shouldn't hurt anything.

These are true water cookers. It is not just some cooker that has a "water pan" but really doesn't do anything. So keep that in mind when it comes to bark.

I had my G2 Chubby & Party for about 5yrs. Great cookers, but they are water cookers so bark will be a little softer, especially in the chubby when the food is closer to the water than say in a Party where you can get things up higher. It was my dedicated rib cooker for events and made some banging ribs.

I've run it dry, but temps can get hot and hard to bring back down. 350 shouldn't hurt anything.

These are true water cookers. It is not just some cooker that has a "water pan" but really doesn't do anything. So keep that in mind when it comes to bark.

That's great info. Thank you.

I've got insulated cabinets way smaller and way bigger. I never use water. I either run the pans empty or use foil balls in the water pan. You'll have to figure out a way to slow the fire down though or like Jason said, it'll run too hot. I use a fire brick maze in the charcoal basket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hated dealing with the water pan in my Party, so I just foiled it and cooked dry. I didn’t have any issues with temp, and clean up was a lot easier. It you have temp issues with a dry pan you can use anything that acts as a heat sink, bricks, sand, etc.

Back