THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ribeye Rob

Found some matches.
I have been using the iGrill mini for some months with good results in big pieces of meat, mainly bbqing. Today I used it to to grill a 2in Tbone. I never use a thermometer when grilling, I use time as a guidance, but since it was a cold day I thought I better be safe using my iGrill mini.
Normally I would reverse sear the Tbone, 15 to 20min indirect and then go direct 5min per side, then rest for 10min.
Today I inserted the probe making sure not to touch the bone, placed the Tbone in indirect and after 20min it barely got to 80*F, moved the Tbone to direct 5min per side and the temp went up to 100*F, moved the Tbone back to indirect because I didn't want to burn my meat but the temperature went very slowly to 120*F when I decided to take the Tbone out of the grill (the Tbone had been inside the grill for more than 40min).
I cut the Tbone (after properly resting it) and found out that it was WELL DONE, when I was trying to a get a medium term.
I used a Weber kettle and the temperature was high (450*F).

Any advice??

Only that a thermometer is a tool. Trust your instincts, back them up with the tool. That is why i recommend learning to cook without them.

And a food instant read works better for steaks.

Double check it in boiling water. I had the probe go bad on mine. It read a little more extreme that yours thought it was reading 6 in 80 degree weather.

Back