If you've ever wondered what a skinless smoked chicken looks like...

BecknCO

Knows what a fatty is.
I did a late night "F you HOA" cook yesterday and the theme was reduced fat :ban:

The lineup was a fatty made of reduced fat jimmy dean, reduced fat colby jack, onions and jalapenos, ABT's made with reduced fat onion and chive philly cream cheese wrapped in leaner center cut bacon, and also the ugliest skinless chicken you've ever seen (tasted good though I went a little too nuts with the chipotle powder in the rub :-o) - Sorry for the gross fat bubble on the breast - shoulda wiped that away before the pic

The fatty and ABt's were awesome - didn't miss a thing due to the reduced fat (still pretty damn fatty if you ask my chica who won't touch any of it). Smoked on apple and hickory for about 3 hours total on the mini and finished up around 1am today.

Attachments

• ABTs and reduced fat fattie.jpg
    ABTs and reduced fat fattie.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 412
  • skinless chicken.jpg
    skinless chicken.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Shes a keeper more for you:becky: carry the Commandant of your Concentration camp a sampler plate, tell 'em you caught someone breaking rules cooking outside on a stinky BBQ grill and they're buried in his hedges and he needs to hide the evidence.

Shes a keeper more for you:becky: carry the Commandant of your Concentration camp a sampler plate, tell 'em you caught someone breaking rules cooking outside on a stinky BBQ grill and they're buried in his hedges and he needs to hide the evidence.

LOL. I actually sent the property management a strongly worded letter stating that I'm not breaking their rules (since they have no mention of anything about charcoal grills). I haven't heard back from them, and it's been about two weeks since I sent it and my neighbor told me she was going to report me becuase "You'll burn my house down!!" (she bought a friggen apartment, and needs to get over her pretentious self)

Funny thing though - about a week ago, the property manager came by while my chica was home (bad idea for him - it was what I like to call "shark week" for her). He said we had to remove the 22.5 OTS and get rid of her 40lb tank for the Q220 -- she gave him the business, told him no, and from what I understand he pretty much just took it and left LOL!!

sometimes good things happen during shark week! :clap2:

Colorado folks used to complain about Texans vacationing in "their" national parks. While watching us Texans, Californians were moving in, staying AND bringing with them the way they vote. Much more egregious than a Texan showing up depositing a boatload of money and then returning home.

Texans love smoke, Q and beer. And we know how to vote. Good job on the HOA night. Shark Week- now that's a great analogy. Loved the post.

Funny thing though - about a week ago, the property manager came by while my chica was home (bad idea for him - it was what I like to call "shark week" for her). He said we had to remove the 22.5 OTS and get rid of her 40lb tank for the Q220 -- she gave him the business, told him no, and from what I understand he pretty much just took it and left LOL!!

i have never understood this ...i watch my grills way closer then people watch their stoves or ovens so whats the difference

Truth be told nobody in Colorado can really complain about anyone being here - the vast majority of us are transplants anyway (I moved here from Pittsburgh 8 years ago).

My only beef with Texas is my buddy Greg from Dallas. He's a real piece of work and a shameless self-promoter, but I love the guy nonetheless :blah:.

You, on the other hand, are welcome to come up here anytime you want. Just be sure to bring the biggest smokin' rig you can find. I'll be happy to let you park in my parking space. I bet the HOA here could benefit from a little texas justice :clap:

i have never understood this ...i watch my grills way closer then people watch their stoves or ovens so whats the difference

Ignorance on the part of those that don't Q. It's the same story with dog breed restrictions I'm afraid.

LOL. I actually sent the property management a strongly worded letter stating that I'm not breaking their rules (since they have no mention of anything about charcoal grills). I haven't heard back from them, and it's been about two weeks since I sent it and my neighbor told me she was going to report me becuase "You'll burn my house down!!" (she bought a friggen apartment, and needs to get over her pretentious self)

sometimes good things happen during shark week! :clap2:

It isn't really the HOA that is behind the Ban of grills. It's the City
of Denver, and most of the Metro are....including Aurora, where I live.
Many other cities across the country have also adopted this Law.

It seems that more and more HOA's are adopting a stronger stance
against people having grills, once they learn that City laws make it
illegal to have grills in multifamily dwellings (apts and condos).

I would be careful if I were you....most likely your HOA has been
documenting these "meetings" with you. Yes it su-ck-s, and I don't
like it either; but it's not worth having to pay a fine, and/or get arrested
for.

Here's a Denver Post news story from 2005.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2872006?rss

Nah. they'll just hit him with an assessment for violating the rules.

Why would the HOA do that, when they can just call the Police and let
the city deal with it. Then the HOA wont have to spend any money or
time with Lawyers, and legal fees, etc.

If it was just a HOA rule, he might be able to fight it. But it's a Law that
prohibits grills in multifamily dwellings in the city of Denver.

Help a redneck out with a couple questions, please

Does the ban apply to electric smokers and grills or just live fire.

Does the HOA have a grill area on site?

Used to have a relative with a stream side cabin in Cuchara, Co.
Lots of Colorado, Kansas Texas Oklahoma people owned cabins nearby. Everyone roamed the river catching trout, cooking out having a great time. Then California vehicle and owners showed up, no trespassing signs, keep out, new HOA rules etc etc.

They sold the cabin, to a family "group" from California.

Now what does this have to do with Q??
Dark I don't know. I have two beers going at once due to just finishing a 20 mi bike ride in 100 degree west Texas heat. When I walked on my wife handed me the beers and said we are having Tbones, sausage and sweet potato fries for supper. She looks hungry.
No HOA here in the trailer park. Time to select a grill, drink beer and start cooking.

Why would the HOA do that, when they can just call the Police and let
the city deal with it. Then the HOA wont have to spend any money or
time with Lawyers, and legal fees, etc.

If it was just a HOA rule, he might be able to fight it. But it's a Law that
prohibits grills in multifamily dwellings in the city of Denver.
Out here, the police will rarely get involved with something like this. They might file a report, if it is a slow night (rarely since most police forces are already understaffed) they might actually show up in a couple of hours, and tell the person to put the fire out.

Most HOA's out here have the ability to file a grievance, that usually leads to an assessment, and that rarely gets paid unless the unit gets sold. There are so many people who violate the HOA rules, and the City rules, that the lawyers are on call.

Long story short - it's about "open flame", and I looked into the fire rescue authority's rules, and I am in compliance by being at least 10' away from anything combustible. This just means that it's the HOA, and one person in particular that's whining about it all. There is nothing in the HOA rules banning charcoal grills or smokers. Being that I am in compliance with the fire authority coupled with the fact it's not against the HOA written rules - I will fight this to the bitter end.

They allow propane grills here with either 1lb tanks or using the natural gas hookup (my rental unit doesn't have that). Truth is that there are many people in this complex with 40lb tanks wayyyy out in the open, and also a small handful with charcoal kettles. This in particular is why I am not too worried about it all despite there being more police here than I have ever seen total in my whole life. This is a pretentious and wealthy suburb, so complainers will be present by nature.

There is a super crappy gas grill hooked up to an NG line in the pool area. Everyone trashes it, and only one of the 3 burners works. I know this because I used it to roast peppers once while I tended to two kettles nearby.

I will get harrassed from time to time, but I am moving most of my cooks to the pool area now and so far, no complaints. I just hope it lasts until we move!

Help a redneck out with a couple questions, please

Does the ban apply to electric smokers and grills or just live fire.

Does the HOA have a grill area on site?

Electric grills and smokers are permitted under the "International Fire Code".
Charcoal and propane grill are banned, unless they are used a least
10' away from any structure.
Some HOA groups have community grills, and some don't.

Last edited:
Long story short - it's about "open flame", and I looked into the fire rescue authority's rules, and I am in compliance by being at least 10' away from anything combustible. This just means that it's the HOA, and one person in particular that's whining about it all. There is nothing in the HOA rules banning charcoal grills or smokers. Being that I am in compliance with the fire authority coupled with the fact it's not against the HOA written rules -

It sounds like you are within your rights, at least until the next board
meeting anyway. They may input new HOA rules about propane and
charcoal grills then...like they did here. But the electric grill I bought is
much better than I thought it would be, it can cook some nice food.

Enjoyed your post. Man, living where there are "rules" like that just plain sux the schlong. Hopefully you get to Q in the future without being harassed by nihlists!

Back