THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMHO - meat cooked directly over coals or fire is "roasted" or "grilled".
Meat cooked indirectly utilizing just the smoke to cook the meat is "smoked".
Hot and fast or low and slow, these are cooking methods only.
Either one of these becomes "barbecue" when the meat is enhanced with a "sauce".
This doesn't mean that "sauce" makes ANYTHING barbecue, but if you already have one of the above cooking scenarios then enhancing the meat with sauce makes it barbecue. IMHO.

Of course, you have to realize that I grew up in southern Ohio where a "barbecue" sandwich was a sloppy Joe! The "barbecue" was a grill outside on the patio, and on occasion we would go to a "barbecue" where someone was cooking hot dogs and hamburgers! When I got to North Carolina 36 years ago I had my eyes opened to a whole new world of "barbecue".
Well dang it all then I RARELY ever BBQ! :tsk: I wish i liked sauce just so I could BBQ more. Thank goodness I add a finishing sauce to my pulled pork so I can eat the occasional BBQ sammie!

I know ive already agreed with this but how did the government get this right. I can find no holes in it. This may be Washingtons greatest achievement.

Oh and bbq can be cooked using direct heat. Or was this a grilled hog?

Looks like bbq to me.

Why cant you guys just conform to my way of thinking
:frusty:

Mmmmm grilled hog, My favorite! It's much better than BBQ hog imo.

I learnt one thing today and that is we all cant agree what's considered barbecue :mrgreen:

I would call that roasted hog but that's just me.

Back